“very nice french inspired food”
Review of Le Mistral

Le Mistral
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Mistral is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #293 of 8,359 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Enclave/Briarfore St.
Description: Since 2001, Le Mistral has built a niche in West Houston's Energy Corridor as the best food in town. We are a fine French restaurant offering exquisite dishes, a note-worthy wine list and top notch service.
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Good setting, quiet, excellent wine list and good variety of starters and mains. Found it great for a business dinner recommended by a friend from Australia of all places!

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Unless I had been recommended La Mistral I would have driven straight past it. Although freestanding it is situated in a non descript strip mall in the energy corridor. However, once inside it is has an understated and tasteful decor.

The staff are very attentive and helpful in their menu recommendations. To add to the authenticity we had a French waiter who was typically aloof and borderline rude but we found him to be quite amusing which I am sure he sensed.

There were four of us, all choosing different selections from the menu and we all agreed that everything was delicious and beautifully presented. Although the food was very good we still felt that the prices were a little high and did not reflect the location of the restaurant. Added to this the wine menu was unjustly expensive.

So all in all a very good experience but I am not sure if I would venture that far out of town when there are just as good options nearer home which are not quite as expensive. But I would definitely recommend if you lived in that area of town or were there anyway.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Nice comfortable restaurant with friendly service. Meal hit and miss. Maybe chef was preparing next days Easter menu. Salads were delicious, wild mushroom soup a bland puree, foies gras beautifully cooked and delicious.....except for the large vein, which made the small serving an overall big disappointment, grouper delicious, duck leg confit delicious, duck breast tough and fat no rendered, beef tenderloin fine, potato sides blah, bread pudding in a jar?? seemed kind of silly.... nice wine recommendations, good coffee. Might go back, but I would order something I had before that I know is good. Houston does not lack for good places to eat.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Arrived for dinner & disappointed at the location..it is on a strip mall. Had to valet park the car as all spaces reserved for the restaurant...when we came out the car was literally a few metres away but hey, I suppose it is keeping someone in a job.
The restaurant was not as exclusive as I expected it to be but still very nice & our waiter was friendly & even cracked a joke...a sense of humour, I like that. My husband started with the Tranche de Foie Gras Poêlée, Gastrique Porto, Liqueur de Cassis which he said was delicious. For my main course I had the Poulet à la Française. Yes chicken, but not too sure where the French influence was. Again it was "nice". My husband had the Entrecôte Grillée, Sauce Béarnaise, Pommes Frites. This is served with fries....NOOO...I can get these at McDonalds...please take them off the menu...the only French connection about them is the name.
A friend had told us to get the souffle so we ordered a Soufflé au Grand Marnier & Soufflé au Chocolat. It takes a little time to prepare but that was good as it gave us time to relax between courses. The chocolate souffle arrived with the waiter apologising. It seemed that the chef was having problems with the Grand Marnier souffle. That was ok with us as we were happy to wait. I have to say this choccy dessert was wonderful. The down side is that we never got our Grand Marnier souffle ...the chef must have been having a bad night & the owner did apologise...but NOT GOOD enough in a restaurant of this type.
Moving on. We paid the bill only to realise that it had been incorrectly done. We had a gift card & they had undercharged on its value (it was for 180 & they incorrectly charged it at 100) leaving us to pay much more than we should have been. A mistake!! Again lots of apologies but
this shouldn't happen.
One last thing. I noticed during the evening that I could hear other patrons conversations as an echo...it must be something to do with the acoustics as the guy on the next table was also having the same issue.
Maybe we got them on a bad night & I fully understand that things can go wrong but this restaurant is advertised as a fine-dining establishment with prices to match. It isn't quite there yet. Maybe we should give it a second chance!

LeMistralHouston, Manager at Le Mistral, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. We can't begin to express our disappointment regarding your Grand Marnier souffle order. It happens to be one of my personal favorites from our dessert menu, and we would love for you to give us another opportunity to make it right.
As always, valet parking is complimentary. Owning this property in the Energy Corridor is very close to the heart of this establishment and we are ever working to accommodate all of our customers, old and new, alike. Just as well, certain dishes ring very true to a French heritage-- commonly steak-frites and such. We aim to offer delicious French cuisine, in a less than pretentious fashion for some. I'd like to invite you back and recommend reserving our Chef's Table where you can truly experience a tailored gourmet menu personally prepared by Chef David or Chef Lionel.
You may be pleased to know that we will begin a slight remodeling soon to install acoustic paneling for the dome in our main dining room which will absorb the amplified din created from the dome's sole geometry.
I hope you can appreciate a place that greatly values your opinion, and in kind, a direct email with your critiques is just as effective as a mixed review because we can respond immediately. You and your husband our welcome back any time, and the Grand Marnier souffle is on me :)

Reviewed March 10, 2013

A bit of a disappointment at Le Mistral Houston.

I had the Entrecôte Grillée, Sauce Béarnaise, Pommes Frites 12-ounce dry aged prime Ribeye, green peppercorn Cognac sauce, French fries, Béarnaise, garlic French green beans.

The Entrecôte was tough; I think the prep was OK, but it was poor quality cut of meat. I blame the supplier, and of course the chef is to blame because he chooses the supplier.

Leslie's had Filet de Vivaneau en Papillote; Filet of red snapper en papillote, zucchini, tomatoes, leeks julienne, saffron potatoes, marinated in lemon juice, olive oil and dill. Her fish was over-seasoned, and she did not enjoy it.

The dessert menu was overly fussy; there was a lack of a simple, basic, good chocolate mousse. She could not easily eat her Mini-Profiteroles with a fork; they skipped and skidded around the plate. It was a scene kind of like marijuana-stoned Nigel struggling with cocktail rye bread and cold-cuts in This Is Spinal Tap.

We are not itching to head back there. I think we will go to some other French restaurants for a while.

Service, Wine, Terrine de Foie Gras, Les Moules Marinieres, Pudding Aux de Pecan, Espresso were good.