“Consistent food and service”

Kaneyama Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #2,033 of 8,398 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed June 9, 2014

If all else fails, I can always count on Kaneyama to have great sushi and the best customer service. Here's what I've been ordering for the last 2-3 years:

***Sea Trout
***Hamachi Kama (Yellow Tail Collar Bone)
***Baked Mussel
***Salmon Sashimi wasn't fresh the last time I ordered it, but the manager corrected this. Waitress noticed I barely touched the food and informed the manager right away.
***Unagi or Unago
***Shrimp Tempura
***Tiger Rolls (I think this is the one with alot of Fried Batter (YUM)

1  Thank cindy5o4

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Had dinner there with a group of friends, and was really excited to see okonomiyaki on the menu. It has been a while since I had it. So ordered it along with Unaju (Eel). I have been comparing how well they do Japanese food by the quality of how they served the Eel.

The Okonomiyaki was not the real thing but it was close. It is still tasty and my friends seems to like it. The Unaju however was a different matter, The sauce did not taste right, and the eel had a few bones within them, Not the best I had tasted.

However, the service is ok, and the price was reasonable. Would I come back? Since I like eating Unaju, maybe not. I know another Japanese place up in Richmond Ave that serves good eel.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We ordered Tempura, Nigiri, and Okonomiyaki. Don't know how much more authentic you can try to get. None tasted authentice, on any level. BUT all were tasty in their own way. Tempura -- had a dense crust with cream cheese and crabmeat, tasty but not tempura. Nigiri -- the rice was not nigiri flavored, tasty but not nigiri. Okonomiyaki -- biggest disappointment here, it tasted like something between cornbread and a southern style pancake, with litte seafood inside it and no cabbage cooked in it, instead the cabbage was raw and to the side. It did have bonito flakes on top and a decent 'okonomiyaki' style sauce, with a heavey dollup of some sort of mayonaise. I've had Okonomiyaki in Hiroshima, Osaka, New York, and Hawaii. Trust me, again it was tasty, but not okonomiyaki.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

A friend recommended this place to me, and I'm so happy I tried it. It was late afternoon today, and I had the place pretty much to myself. Very clean, nicely decorated, and the staff is very friendly. I was a bit overwhelmed at all the choices, so I played it safe and went with the Sushi Combo. Cucumber rolls, smoked fish, shrimp, tuna, salmon, and to be honest I don't know what the others were but all were sooo good. I'm attaching a picture so you can see for yourself. Dinner also included a miso soup starter which was a first for me and very delicious. It was a bit of a haul for me seeing how I live 25+ miles away in Cypress, but so worth the trip.

3  Thank oceanboy75
Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

I decided on this place using Urbanspoon. Walking in I was thrown back a bit ... Not what I was hoping for. it's quite boring on the inside, not very modern...but still very clean -
I was itching to leave, but weighed it against the high ratings on urban spoon.

I ordered the Edemami,Golden Treasure Roll, and Salmon Sashimi. Didn't like the edemami. The roll and sashimi were good...fresh and clean as it should be. The sashimi was a nice portion and thick cut (picture attached). I liked the meal, but just wasn't a fun experience.