“Excellent Indian fusion”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Indika

Indika
Ranked #261 of 8,144 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Orange County, CA
“Excellent Indian fusion”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

Went to Indika, for the first time, for Valentine's day dinner. The pre fixed menu of the day was great. Had enough variation in selection to make both wife and I happy. Started with the nans as appetizer (not the usual papadam that you get in most of the Indian restaurants). Nan was sprinkled with crushed paper and anardana; it gave the nan an excellent special flavor. The Kama Sutra shot which was mix of various fruit juices with hint of black salt was great. The shrimp balchao was tasty; I personally would have not used the banana raita with the shrimp but it was good. The chicken corn mint chat was an innovative recipe and we loved it. The venison biryani was made differently than the usual Indian biryani process. The meat and the rice were in separate layer; the flavors were not all mixed with each other. I liked the variation, my wife was not so thrilled. I guess it is all a question of individual taste. Mango chutney chicken was cooked very well and the flavors were nicely soaked in the meat. I personally would have liked the bone taken out, just a personal preference. Finally, the chocolate ginger fig tart dessert was the recipe I had never tasted before. Very innovative in combining the different flavors. The only issue, the besan (I think it was besan) base layer tasted a little burnt.

The seating is spacious and very inviting. The wine selection was great. Overall a great experience. Will be visiting again, and again, to try out the regular menu entries.

Houston, Texas
“Valentine's dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

was one of the best experience ever, we loved it so much. The food was the best especially the venison biryabi but one thing I didn't like we had very limited menu we had to choose from, also it's very expensive.

Ankara, Turkey
“a bad experience, especially for vegetarians”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

It's an upscale-looking place with a pricey and not so Indian menu-- Indian adapted for Houston meat-eaters with relatively fat wallets. A good business model, perhaps, but not what you're looking for if you just want a solid Indian meal, as I did.

Strike One was the waiter's condescending attitude. I've been eating Indian for decades, but the waiter insisted on treating me like a child who didn't know what anything was. Instead of just giving yes or no answers to my questions about items, he gave haughty tutorials in a tone of arrogant toleration.

Strike Two was when they brought samosas to the table without our having ordered them, and it turned out they were "crab" samosas. (!) I'm a vegetarian who goes to Indian restaurants because they are usually sensitive to people like me. If I hadn't been suspicious and asked, I would have bitten right into a crab samosa.

Strike three was when they brought me what I thought was my black bean biryani, but the pieces that looked in the affectedly dim lighting conditions) like they might have been mushroom were actually chicken. I only discovered this after taking several bites of the item.

When I asked to speak to the manager, it turned out that the condescending waiter *was* the manager.

To repeat, I was brought meat items *twice* without having ordered them, on top of the snooty service-- from the manager, no less. Vegetarians are especially advised to stay away.

3 Thank GHarmanAnkara
Kingwood, TX
“Second Time - Great Food and Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

Recently found Indika and have loved both visits - staff was excellent, food great esp crab samosas and lamb shanks. planning our next visit - soon.

• Visited January 2014
The Woodlands, Texas
“Very Good Indian Restaurant....With A Twist”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

If you are looking for tradational Indian cusine......this will notbe it......be this is a VERY good restaurant! We went with another couple and really enjoyed our experience......both food and service.

We started with four appetizers....Goat Masala, Seared Foie Gras, Pork Belly and Quail.....each with unique preparation and very good.

Then we ordered three main Duck Rangoon, Pork Chop Vindaloo and Rogan Josh Lamb Chops. All of these were very good with the Duck Rangoon walking away with the top honors.

We enjoyed the whole meal.....including drinks and the wine which was recommended. We will definitely go back!

• Visited November 2013