“A Wonderful Bistro”
Review of Bistro le Cep

Bistro le Cep
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro le Cep is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #425 of 8,244 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Austin, TX
“A Wonderful Bistro”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

It is exciting seeking the latest and greatest food trends and restaurants, but what really excites me is when I find a simple bistro with all the comforts associated with it and that is le Cep. The atmosphere is good old fashion french provencial with the tables too close together so you can hear everyone's order and conversation. When we were there tables started talking to each other and taking pictures with each other. The staff is friendly and they are in no rush, but they do not ignore either. Everything I have eaten here is fresh, full of flavor and delicious. The have the old standards like Escargots,Coq aus Vin, Beef Bourguignon and Fish Polpette as well as Texas Wild Boar medallions (I highly recommend). It is maybe a 15 minute drive west of the Galleria on Westheimer with all the lights in an unpretentious setting, but boy oh boy, make a reservation and enjoy.

• Visited March 2013

Houston
“Great Place”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Food is delish, staff super friendly, and desserts to die for. I hate onions, but I love their french onion soup, is that good !!! Escargot, the crab and avocado, are good appetizers. Fish, pork shops, steak are excellent. For dessert you can have the strawberries Romanov, or the sorbet with fresh fruit, creme brûlée, or a plate of cheese. The only thing I have not been able to fully enjoy is their coffee, a bit bitter and strong, but everything else is so great that I would not take any points away from rating them excellent. Do not forget to get some of their warm breads with fresh butter.

• Visited February 2013
Buena Vista, Virginia
“Once again I got lucky finding Bistro le Cep”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Ribs, cajun, Mexican I expected to find in Houston but a very nice French restaurant I had my doubts. I have yet to try an entree as I eat like a bird and have been eating out alone while in this town but am tempted by their offering of Texas Hill Country Wild Boar among other things. So far it has been vichysoise [never could spell that] with either escargot or mussels [all appetizers] accompanied by a glass of red from their nice selection of wines. Along with the bread that comes with the food they serve a very nice little portion of liver pate along with the butter. My first visit I was seated in the corner by the bathrooms but I was a single and tend to dress somewhat wierdly so that was understandable. Only had the cold soup and a Pinot and left 25% tip as the service was most excellent despite my appearance. The wait staff was not of the chirpy-happy- my name is so and so but coldly efficient anticipating my needs before I asked. Even in a place like this I like to have a newspaper to read and despite being a very slow reader never felt rushed so the could turn the table. After my first visit it was maybe ten days before I returned [since then I have treated myself to a visit to le Cep at least once a week and sometimes twice] and was this time greeted like a long lost friend and given a much better table. The staff even remembered that I do not take ice in my water due to sensitive teeth which is always a good sign concerning the professional level of the staff.

• Visited December 2012
“Awesome Little spot on the West side”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I loved the atmosphere and intimate dining experience as well as the special dishes that are rotated through the menu. The food, service, and atmosphere are exceptional

Visited December 2011
Houston
“Fantastic food, great staff!”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We have been to Bistro Le Cep a dozen or so times, and have loved it each time. The food is amazing and they have lots of options, depending on how adventurous you want to get. The quality of food is unbeatable. The escargots are beyond decadent, and there is not enough bread in TX to soak in the wine sauce and mussels. The braised rabbit is by far my favorite dish on the menu and my wife loves the duck. But the menu is huge and there are options for everybody. For the most part, everything is very reasonably priced.. from the wine to the main courses.

The staff is very considerate, knowing that some guests like to go slow and take their time, and they are always paying attention to the little things. we have gone to Bistro for anniversaries, brought my parents there, and anytime we want to have a great meal.

The restaurant is a bit on the smaller side, which we actually like quite a bit. Just make sure you have a reservation if you plan on going at 7 pm or later. Otherwise, you can get there on the early side and get right in.

You definitely feel like you are walking into the french country though. It seems a bit out-dated as far as the decor goes, but that's the charm of the place.

I would highly recommend this place to anybody who wants to go out and have a fantastic dinner and be treated phenomenally, without paying an arm and a leg.

• Visited May 2012