“Great Food in the Heights - Will be back”
Review of Shade - CLOSED

Shade
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Greater Heights
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Situated on a charming section of 19th Street in the Heights, Shade offers a trendy dining experience with solid food and a solid wine list. The menu options can become pricey, but if you're thinking of venturing up here for the first time, make sure to come for dinner and forget the weekly budget, because at Shade, the portions are tasty and creative, but somewhat small.

We had the salad together with the campechana, and first of all, those plaintain chips are fresh and they are addicting. I'm also a huge sucker for pomegranate seeds, and the citrus salad delivered. My wife ordered the Sauteed snapper: Covered with cucumber slices and a thin layer of wasabi, and sitting in a broth of Thai curry, Napa slaw, and crispy wontons, the snapper is wonderful in both presentation and taste, and stands as Shade's signature entree. I had the Chicken it was wonderful.
Sweet, sticky and served a la mode with a side of fresh toffee. The sticky toffee pudding can become a little overpowering in its sweetness, but I'm also a sucker for homemade toffee.

In all, Shade delivers a solid dinner experience at a lower price point than the nicest restaurants in Houston.

2  Thank edcmoverman

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Doesn't look like much from the outside, but once inside you will find a pleasant atmosphere for a very good dining experience. We arrived early as we had theater reservations and our table was ready. Our waiter Thomas was very helpful making some good recommendations. For starter we split the Tomato Salad $10 which was excellent. For the main course I had the Chicken Entree $19 and my spouse had the Red Snapper $25. They do a very good job of the waiter taking the orders and looking after the table with kitchen personnel responsible for bringing out the orders. They do have outside seating but would recommend the inside as the outside was very small between two buildings. Parking was limited on the street in front but there was also a small public lot across the street. Recommend reservations on the weekend and the restaurant is rather small. I recommend eating at this restaurant when in the area

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Folks were in town and wanted to treat. Hadn't been to Shade for dinner, so decidd to give it a try. Nice cozy yet hip atmosphere. Good wine selection and some great cocktails. I highly recommend the Hemingway. We started with a couple of appetizers and WOW, the Littleneck clams In a saffron-white wine broth were so yummy the waitress brought our more bread so we could sop it up. The shrimp and a on cheese grits were fine, but could have been smoother a mor moist. Hubby ordered a pork chop thait was big enough for Fred Flintstone served with a Granny Smith apple stuffed with walnuts and cranberries! He enjoyed it immensely. Mom had the seared scallops with sweet corn polenta; another hit. Dad was thrilled with the espresso rubbed filet and i let the waitress choose between the salmon dish on the menu or the Cobia special for the night. She chose Cobia and it was fabulous. The only reason I didn't award the fifth star was because of underwhelming desserts. We ordered three and none were over the top fabulous. We wished we had waited for a treat at Chocolate Bar. Desserts aside, we'll be back soon.

Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

We have had dinner here a few times when in town visiting family. This time we tried Sunday brunch. Their food is always delicious and the service is excellent. It's open and a little hard to hear at times.