“Salt Lick”
Review of Smith & Wollensky

Smith & Wollensky
Reserve with OpenTable
Smith & Wollensky is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #321 of 8,348 Restaurants in Houston
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Drexel
Description: Exclusive dining for Houston's most exclusive village. Situated in Houston's affluent Highland Village, our traditional green-and-white steakhouse is more than a neighborhood icon, but one of the most desirable destinations in the Houston steak scene. Seating up to 350 guests and a perfect complement to the upscale shopping retail district, it's the ultimate atmosphere for luxury dining and drinking.
Reviewed May 26, 2014

My wife and I dinner at this establishment and we had mixed feeling. The one thing we could agree on is the the kitchen was fond of salt, I drank 4 glasses of water and still wanted more. The bread was heavily salted. The butter was salted. Every thing was excessively salted. My steak was nice but not remarkable, a bit salty. Honestly the food was good but just over salted. Our service was very good but he couldn't keep up with my water requirements. Everything was too darn salty with a hefty price tag I expect more care to what is comes out of the kitchen (I do mine)

1  Thank TravelerFromPerth

Reviewed March 1, 2014

That is not stellar. The location is fantastic, right in highland village and on valentine's day! Thought it would be awesome! Instead they took us to a back room that was freezing with 1 other couple that was right next to us and an extremely loud party in the opposite corner. We were looking in on the kitchen. That was with reservations made 1 month in advance. I asked to be moved and they obliged. We were now seated in the front room overlooking the plaza. Perfect! Now we wait and wait and wait. Finally after 2 people fill our waters a waiter was sent to us. He was fine. Not great, just fine. We ordered drinks and they were fine. My manhattan tasted good, but wasn't cool or cold as it should be. Then we decided to hold off on appetizers and ordered salad and soup instead. Fine. Dinner was porterhouse for 2. We waited a very long time after salad and soup was removed from our table. 20 minutes to be exact. Porterhouse was overcooked to the point of char on the outside. We ordered medium rare and it was easily medium to medium well in parts. We weren't asked if it was good for another 10 minutes. I didn't need things to be quick. I enjoy a leisurely dinner, but this was silly. Manager came by and asked how our evening was and we stated that it was fine. Told her we ordered medium rare and she noted that it was over cooked and then went about her way. It is an expensive night out and does not compare to Morton's nor Ruth Chris'. We won't return.

1  Thank maretx01
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I dined at S&W four years ago and was completely enthralled with the entire experience. The service was exceptional, the food was impeccably presented, and it tasted even better! Unfortunately when I returned for Valentines Day this year I was horrified at the strikingly apparent decline in quality of food and service.

Our server as well as the staff that brought the food to our table were VERY unprofessional and not at all what I was expecting given my previous experience. Our server didn't greet us or give her name (at nicer restaurants most servers welcome you to the restaurant). She rushed us through the entire evening, kept dropping our utensils on the table in addition to forgetting beverages etc., did not offer any sugesstions for wine or food and when asked just fumbled around awkwardly. I know people have off days but given that it was Valentines Day I was hoping for a little more of a performance than that. The menus have changed and are now laminated paper; mine of which had pen markings all over it. It was obvious a child had gotten ahold of my copy and again I was slightly annoyed given the fact that I was paying 300 dollars for dinner. The salads which I remembered being presented so nicely are no longer. They are chopped, wilted lettuce drowned in dressing tossed into a dirty shallow bowl. I was appalled. There were also noticeable grimy finger prints on all of our plates and utensils. I asked for my 57 dollar steak medium-rare and it came out well-done and dry.

The ambiance was instantly subdued when walking in I noticed a giant plant potter serving as a makeshift ashtray. Nothing says nice and romantic like a giant pot filled with cigarette butts at the front door.

AND to top it off the entire place smelled of cigar smoke. If I want to pay 320 dollars on a dinner I'll go to Tony's next time.

The chocolate cake that I loved so much was dry.

I would not consider this a place to go for a nice date anymore. Perhaps a nice work lunch or function.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

I visited S&W following numerous recommendations. I can honestly say I am in debt to those individuals and I am counting down until I can return. The venue has an excellent atmosphere, highly knowledgable members of staff. William our waiter was a seasoned vet and also recommended an excellent choice of wine to go with our meal. We were seated on the second floor and received great views overlooking Westheimer Road.

I treated myself to the signature bone-in rib-eye with mash potatoes and truffled mac and cheese. Everything was cooked to perfection and I was left speechless by how great the steak and sides tasted.

As a Brit our steaks are not cooked the same and are much smaller in comparison. After visiting S&W it was a refreshing experience and certainly worth the plane fare all in itself.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

I'd never been to a Smith and Wollensky's before, so when we passed their building on Houston's Westheimer Ave looking for a place to grab a bite for lunch, I had to stop in. S&W has a very pleasant atmosphere befitting a top notch steakhouse, and we were seated on the second floor in a room completely surrounded by windows. Jerry, our waiter, was very personable and chatted comfortably with us about the menu offerings and why Smith & Wollensky stood out from other high-end steakhouses.

Since it was only lunch, I felt like eating light so I ordered their Spinach, & Poached Egg salad drizzled with a warm sherry vinaigrette dressing.and topped with sliced tenderloin. The spinach was very fresh and the tenderloin lean and flavourful. I thought the tenderloin was a tiny bit overcooked as I asked for it to be prepared medium and expected it to be warm and pink in the center. Instead, it was cooked closer to medium-well but I did not complain as it was still appetizing. However, I can't say it tantalized my taste buds which is what I would expect from this type of high-end steakhouse. I also enjoyed a single glass of their M. Chapoutier “Belleruche” which was full-bodied and smooth and a perfect accompaniment for my entree salad. It was a very pleasant lunch indeed that Sunday afternoon, but not particularly remarkable considering the outstanding reputation and high price of this fine restaurant.

1  Thank SheldonHW