“The steak left me speechless.....”
Review of Smith & Wollensky

Smith & Wollensky
Reserve with OpenTable
Smith & Wollensky is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #308 of 8,203 Restaurants in Houston
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Drexel
Description: Exclusive dining for Houston's most exclusive village. Situated in Houston's affluent Highland Village, our traditional green-and-white steakhouse is more than a neighborhood icon, but one of the most desirable destinations in the Houston steak scene. Seating up to 350 guests and a perfect complement to the upscale shopping retail district, it's the ultimate atmosphere for luxury dining and drinking.
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“The steak left me speechless.....”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

I visited S&W following numerous recommendations. I can honestly say I am in debt to those individuals and I am counting down until I can return. The venue has an excellent atmosphere, highly knowledgable members of staff. William our waiter was a seasoned vet and also recommended an excellent choice of wine to go with our meal. We were seated on the second floor and received great views overlooking Westheimer Road.

I treated myself to the signature bone-in rib-eye with mash potatoes and truffled mac and cheese. Everything was cooked to perfection and I was left speechless by how great the steak and sides tasted.

As a Brit our steaks are not cooked the same and are much smaller in comparison. After visiting S&W it was a refreshing experience and certainly worth the plane fare all in itself.

• Visited November 2013

• Turkish first
Longboat Key, Florida
“Our $150 lunch was good but not great.”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I'd never been to a Smith and Wollensky's before, so when we passed their building on Houston's Westheimer Ave looking for a place to grab a bite for lunch, I had to stop in. S&W has a very pleasant atmosphere befitting a top notch steakhouse, and we were seated on the second floor in a room completely surrounded by windows. Jerry, our waiter, was very personable and chatted comfortably with us about the menu offerings and why Smith & Wollensky stood out from other high-end steakhouses.

Since it was only lunch, I felt like eating light so I ordered their Spinach, & Poached Egg salad drizzled with a warm sherry vinaigrette dressing.and topped with sliced tenderloin. The spinach was very fresh and the tenderloin lean and flavourful. I thought the tenderloin was a tiny bit overcooked as I asked for it to be prepared medium and expected it to be warm and pink in the center. Instead, it was cooked closer to medium-well but I did not complain as it was still appetizing. However, I can't say it tantalized my taste buds which is what I would expect from this type of high-end steakhouse. I also enjoyed a single glass of their M. Chapoutier “Belleruche” which was full-bodied and smooth and a perfect accompaniment for my entree salad. It was a very pleasant lunch indeed that Sunday afternoon, but not particularly remarkable considering the outstanding reputation and high price of this fine restaurant.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank SheldonHW
Germantown, Tennessee
“Nice place for Christmas Dinner”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

Pricey but great for a special occasion like Christmas Dinner. The three of us had: Grilled Tuna, Filet Oscar and Filet Cajun with Truffle Macaroni & Cheese plus Grilled Asparagus. Everything was delicious and promptly served - We heard that they ran both kitchens all day. Great wine selection. Nice Christmas trees on the first and second floors. Nice view from the second floor of the holiday decorations in Highland Village. We were also lucky to have Jonathan, who was very courteous, attentive and talented. Made for an enjoyable holiday celebration. I saw two people turned away that did not have reservations. I thought that I heard someone say they had (650) dinner reservations today. I can see why.

• Visited December 2013
San Antonio, Texas
“5 minute switch”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Went to s&w for late lunch, landed there at 4:03 was seated at 4:15 and given a dinner menu. When we asked for the lunch menu we were told that " the computers change over at 4pm and that whatever we order would be the dinner price, no matter what we ordered". We had the Mac and cheese and then left
Ate

Visited December 2013
Houston, Texas
“Great Steak, Nice Atmosphere, but Slow Service”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We wen't to S & W for our friends post-wedding appreciation dinner. We had about 20 people with us so they allowed us to dine in a private room which provided a great intimate atmosphere. Because we were there after Thanksgiving, the wine selection was a bit limited. The first 3 bottles that I chose to order were out of their inventory. The wine sommelier came by at this point and made a recommendation on the higher end of my price point, but the wine he recommended was terrific. From the time we sat down to about when the wine came out took almost 45 mins.Which was way too long. We finally ordered our food after getting our wine, which also took a good deal of time to come out. I had the cajun rib eye and found it to have both great taste and cooked perfectly. Overall the experience at W & S was wonderful, even though the service was quite slow.

• Visited November 2013