“I love their happy hour!!!!! Please eat the mac'n'cheese. It's unbelievable!”

Sparrow Bar + Cookshop
Ranked #2,422 of 8,348 Restaurants in Houston
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Alabama
Transit: HCC/Ensemble Light Rail Stop
Reviewed April 16, 2008

I love their happy hour!!!!! Please eat the mac'n'cheese. It's unbelievable!

Reviewed March 23, 2008

I like to try "creative" restaurants, and I was very interested in t'afia, since it features local organic food and changes its menu every week. The restaurant has an Ikea-like decor, which I didn't mind, but it is fairly expensive, and has more of a "hip" than "romantic" feel. The mixed drinks and ratafia infusions are excellent and reasonably priced. The bread is cold and dry with a funny texture. My husband and I each took one bite and left the rest. He ordered the tasting menu, which had five small courses. The first was a yummy one ounce block of creamy cheese with a quarter inch size cube of quince paste and crackers. His second course was a delicious buffalo chili. His third course was an OK spinach cheese gratin with oysters. His fourth course was a yummy grilled pork loin, with two delicious quail legs, and a piece of liver, which he said was OK. I ordered the french onion soup, which had a one by two inch "cheddar cheese bruschetta" on top. It was yummy, but not the best I've tasted, and the portion was small for the price. There is a "pick your protein and sauce" option, and I chose three delicious tender scallops with three delicious sauces for $15 plus fabulous honey/bacon potatoes for $6. Our desserts had generous portions and reasonable prices. The warm chocolate bread pudding was delicious, very chocolatey and not too sweet. My cheesecake was delicious, too. Our service was good.

The big question is...would we come back? There are better options for the price in Houston, so if you are here on vacation, I would recommend Artista or Reef in the mid-town/downtown area, and Churrascos, Americas, Indika or Kiran's for upscale Latin-american or Indian food. We will probably come back occasionally for drinks and desserts, but I don't think we'll be back for a full dinner.

Houston
Reviewed February 26, 2008

Overpriced, but good food.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed February 12, 2008

one of the best happy hours in town...

Reviewed January 27, 2008

Overpriced for what I got. Maybe I should go back and give it another chance, but I really wasn't impressed with Monica Pope.