“They moved, but Not in the Right Direction”
Review of Cafe Chino

Cafe Chino
Ranked #2,199 of 8,202 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Chinese
Houston, Texas
“They moved, but Not in the Right Direction”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Cafe Chino used to be a great little secret in the village if one sought Chinese food. They have moved on the frontage road of Highway 59 and although the physical space is better the food is no longer as fresh tasting or special. We loved it before and we keep going back from time to time to see if we can get the old feelings back but so far we have been disappointed.

Visited December 2012

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic food and service!”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Couldnt have had a better meal. The overly friendly staff served me and my family the best chinese dishes Ive ever had. Try the cruspy quail... amazing!

Houston, Texas, United States
“Limited Menu - But prepared & presented with perfection”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

The secret to excellent Asian food is fresh ingredience cooked to perfection. This restaurant achieves this. The menu is limited and there is reference to brown sauce which tends to turn me off, but on the basis of the excellent reviews, I gave the brown sauce a try. It was all excellent. I grew up in Hawaii where we had the best of Asian food, then moved to San Francisco where Chinese food is abundant and true to its provincial roots. Hunan food is unashamedly hot. Cantonese is bland but fresh and Shanghai cuisine is a mastery of sweet and sour (Hu cuisine). My only criticism of Cafe Chino is that it claims to be a Hunan restaurant, but I couldn't find any of the dry hot dishes Hunan is known for. Please add some of the true Hunan dishes to your menu and I'll be there again and again.

• Visited December 2012
Houston, Texas
“Wonderful Asian Food”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

The food in this place is unique and its take on the classic Asian dishes (General Tso's chicken anyone) is excellent and wonderful. The chef/owner prepares the dishes with a flair that will keep you coming back to this place again and again. The hot and sour soup in the place is the perfect mix of spicy and succulent tofu and mushrooms, the wonton soup and the miso soups are also wonderful. The chicken and shrimp dumplings are a must try as well. I love the Shanghai noodles with beef and chicken and the chicken with black bean sauce is also a must try. If you work close by I highly recommend that you try their lunch menu. It is a three course menu where you can choose between appetizer, soup and an entree at very reasonable prices. Overall this place is wonderful and if you are in the mood of Asian cuisine try this place out and you will not be disappointed.

• Visited September 2011
2 Thank gillbhai
Dallas, Texas
“It's Excellent!”
Reviewed July 24, 2011

I recently visited Houston on business and tried the place out. It hands down beats the chain places like PF Chang's. The Sesame Chicken is awesome (half breasts sliced lengthwise, you have to see it to believe it), and the rest of their lunch menu is equally fresh and innovative. I liked the fact that I had total control over my sides and could get healthier options like fresh spring rolls and salads. The service was attentive and they seemed to genuinely care about the enjoyment of our meals. Overall it's top notch and reasonably priced.

• Visited July 2011