“Good, could have been better”
Review of Hugo's

Hugo's
Ranked #16 of 8,243 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Mexican, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Bar scene, Romantic
Neighborhood: Neartown/ Montrose
Houston, Tx
“Good, could have been better”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

'My wife and stopped over for restaurant weeks to try Hugo's as we heard good things about the restaurant. We were brought to our table immediately upon check in. We asked for a different table and we were accommodated. Upon review of the menus my wife noticed the publicized vegetarian menu was different that she was given. My menu however noted the correct menu. When the waiter arrived my wife explicitly told the waited she wanted the menu that I had in my version. When the muse arrived, it was not what we requested and I had to call over the waiter. He went and had the manager come speak with us and explained that Hugo's had received a number of complaints about the menu b/c people did not like the taste due to the flavors and peppers used. He did however offer to provide the requested menu and accommodate her. I tried the red wine menu selection, however, opted not to take the pairings. I did try the recommended French wine that was paired with the main course. My wife being Mexican and I having traveled throughout Mexico are very familiar with the tastes and seasonings of Mexico. Food highlights: Ancho Relleno - excellent flavor but I would have liked a little heat (spice) added to it. The tortita de lentejas - good flavor, good texture. However, my wife found a large pieces of wax paper under one of the tortitas! Enchiladas placeras - whomever was complaining about the taste of these has no concept of sabor de Mexico!!!! I tried a few bites of my wife's dish and the flavor immediately reminds you of Mexico! The churros con pina - very good! Again, tastes like a churro from the streets of Mexico City! My crepes were decadent. The ice cream helped take some of hit off of the bittersweet chocolate. The wine - fantastic choice with with lamb. The low side: My wife's salad was a but too plain, maybe a little more olive oil and lime. The lamb was ok. It was a little overcooked on one side for my taste. The tamal with the lamb tasted good but having to unwrap a large banana leaf at the table was a bit disturbing and I ended up getting sauce all over my hands and it covered my plate and sauce. Honestly trying to deal with it was a bit off putting of the experience. I will say, we almost to ask someone to roll us out of the restaurant because we were so full! Overall experience was good. We look forward to trying some other dishes at Hugo's.

• Turkish first
Tampa, Florida
“Fantastic, authentic gourmet Mexican...”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great spot on Westheimer in an area with several great restaurants.

Tried five apps and a couple of mains and all were stellar: pulpo; ceviche; beef cheeks in chile; lechon; huevos rancheros; and tacos de papas...all well prepared and seasoned with a sophisticated level of complexity.

Only thing keeping me from 5 stars was the wait for service. Took way to long to have our drink orders taken (stupid move as we would have ordered more drinks), to place order and for courses to arrive to table.

That being said, wish there was a Hugo's in my town. I'd be a regular.

• Visited September 2013
Lafayette, California
“Buzzy, energetic vibe, awesome food”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Our group of 12 had an awesome evening at Hugo's. The cocktail list is large and varied. Margaritas are hand-shaken table-side - everything was fresh and delicious.

Among the many starters we tried, our group enjoyed the chapulines - fried small grasshoppers. They were crispy and flavorful. The accompanying blue corn tortillas wer toothsome and the guacamole was excellent - creamy and delicous.

Other excellent starters I can recommend: sopa calabaza - a creamy butternut squash soup, caesar salad prepared tableside. The crispy potato tacos were outstanding, as were the sopecitos.

Everyone's entree was good size and flavorful. Among the favorites: ribeye with nopales (cactus), slow-roasted pig in banana leaf, the cabrito, slow roasted goat and the shrimp sauteed in lime garlic oil.

Desserts were also excellent - bread pudding, crispy churros, served with ice cream and hot chocolate, intense chocolate cake, including one with chile heat.

Service was friendly, helpful and quick. The room was full, so a little loud. A great, fun evening out.

Tampa, Florida
“An average place”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Have made two trips to Hugos and was a little surprised at the fluctuation in quality. The first trip, we sat at the bar before our reservation time (it was very early, 4:30) and an extremely delightful bartender (Juan Carlos) made us three different and very tasty drinks. Later, at dinner, I ordered the same drink but Juan Carlos had finished his shift and the drink was made by someone else. While the first drink was excellent, the second was very ordinary at best and tasted more of soda than liquor. A week later, we went back and experienced the same issue, flat tasteless drinks with more filler than tequila.
The food was very good, the Carne Brava is tasty although a bit over salted. The Carnitas dish was tender and flavorful. I was surprised that all of the rice dishes contained peas, not mentioned in the menu. I ordered white rice and it was overwhelmed with peas which I do not eat.
The atmosphere is a bit loud and they appear to be tightly booked so we felt a little rushed both times. I would go back here for drinks at the bar but not sure if a third dinner will happen.

Houston, Texas
“Lively, but missed the mark”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Hugo's is a very lively, energetic restaurant. Their service is great. However, I think they missed the mark with me on their overall food quality for the price. We spent $170 for 3 people during restaurant week. We had their special margarita rocks, which were quite strong and got the job done easily, however were lacking on flavor. I've had much better tasting margaritas at much lower than $10. Also, my sister and I ordered the exact same menu from restaurant week. So, tell me why her appetizer had a handful of lucious-looking alvocados, but mine had none? Also, the main course, the fish, same thing. I finally asked for alvocados, but they just brought me some sliced alvocado. Didn't look as good and juicy as her warm alvocado chunks were. Also, the main course with fish, and it sounded great on the menu. However, it turned out to just be plain old fried fish and potato logs. Not my idea of a high-end Mexican dish. The dessert, however, was the best part of the meal. We had the chocolate crepes, which were wonderful. No chips & salsa as a starter ( you have to order that as an appetizer and pay for it). When we left, my husband and I commented that for the money, we could have had 4 fajita meals at our favoriate dive Mexican restaurant. We won't be back to Hugo's.