“Wait makes the food all the better”
Review of Hugo's

Hugo's
Ranked #16 of 8,448 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Mexican, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings
Neighborhood: Neartown/ Montrose
Description: Located in the heart of Houston's Montrose area, Hugo's brings the exciting and earthy flavors of Mexico across the border. “Authentic Mexican cooking is a world-class cuisine that has remained virtually unchanged by the outside world," says Executive Chef Hugo Ortega of his native cuisine. "The food is as light and fresh as a seafood cocktail prepared by fishermen on the beach; as deep and complex as the moles of Oaxaca made with an astounding number of ingredients; and as earthy as the simplest handmade corn tortilla." With the opening of his namesake restaurant in 2002, Ortega journeyed full-circle to rediscover the foods of his homeland. The menu features traditional dishes from the many regions of Mexico, all made from scratch in Mexican tradition, including various cheeses, moles, tortillas and chocolate. The restaurant is also known for its stellar award-winning wine program, cocktail list and tequila menu.
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Went to Hugos on a Wednesday night at 8pm, the place was packed. 45 min wiat for a table. Service was great, the decor is very cool. We ordered 4 starters, and one main to share, and a dessert. Would recommend - great place for a business dineer - or to bring out of town guests. Definitely book though.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

During our trip to Texas we wanted to try an upscale version of Mexican food and we were not disappointed by Hugo's. The atmosphere is charming and the menu is impressive. They offer a lunch menu but we were also able to order off the regular menu. There were a variety of tapas ( I ordered the grasshoppers) and many delicious choices. We tried everything from fish to lamb to beef and were not disappointed in any of the offerings. It is not inexpensive, but well worth the investment in fine Latin dining.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

When travelling I like to find authentic regional food. Hugo's in Houston takes thier inspiration from slightly south of the border by producing authentic and tasty Mexican food. If any of you have taken on cooking Mexican specialties, you will fully apprecaite what these folks are doing, they take on some so the most difficult and delicious Mexican regional quisines and do it in style. Their preparation, handling of spices, quality of ingredients all speak of a restaurant where they really care about doing things right.
I only wish that they were closer to my home, adn that someday I would be in Houston on a Sunday so I could experience the brunch..
Keep up the great work!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My family and I took my mother to Hugo's for their buffet brunch for her birthday, and it was amazing! The house band (Viento) played traditional Mexican music throughout brunch only stopping to sing "Happy Birthday" or some other song for special occasions being celebrated in the restaurant that morning. The place was full of people, happy noise, fragrances of all sorts to make your mouth water and your stomach growl, laughter and light. It was a lively event!

The wait staff should be called the "no wait" staff because they were constantly anticipating our every need and desire. We waited for nothing! They took great care of us! We were seated quickly and had our drink orders (iced tea, water and a pitcher of their delectable pomegranate mimosas) delivered before we could even begin to anticipate approaching the buffet.

And what a buffet it was! In true Hugo's style, they presented a wide variety of traditional and adapted Mexican dishes to tantalize the eyes, seduce the nose, and build the anticipation of relishing the flavors as they burst wave upon wave across your tongue! Having recently lost a great deal of weight, I was hesitant to dive in and was barely able to restrain myself to only a sampling of each dish, and I am so happy that I did! This gave me the chance to try nearly everything, and there was not a dish on display that I would not have gladly sat in front of and licked the dish clean! The problem is that the selection was so immense that I still ended up going back twice more to fill my plate in order to try it all!

I was stuffed and could not eat another bite (or so I thought)!! I had to pass the dessert table on my way back to my table, and the desserts were calling my name! I couldn't resist and dove in for all it was worth! I cannot tell you all that I ate because I simply cannot remember. The food was so good I have to admit to inhaling much of it rather than giving it its proper due by slowly savoring it. I do remember a few items which stood out from the rest. The hot chocolate reminded me of my youth growing up on the border when my mother would make us hot chocolate from scratch with that amazing fresh chocolate! The tres leches was to die for, and I think I had an out of body experience while eating it!! The flan!!!! There are no words to describe its flavor and even less to describe its effect on me!!!! WOW!!!!

The trip was not without its drawbacks, though. Every venue must have its hiccups. In this case, the issues had to do with the number of people in the establishment. The food was so delicious that the lines were long. However, because people could not wait to get their food back to their tables to eat it, the lines moved very quickly! Additionally, there were occasions when a dish would be depleted before the kitchen staff could replace it, but it was never down for very long!

All of this at the quality of Hugo's food, and one would expect to pay an arm and a leg and be very happy doing so! Hold onto your wallets, folks, because this event is unbelievably priced!! I know I ate much more than what I paid for my meal, and I ate the least of everyone in my group! You have to experience it to believe it!

As always, Hugo's is a must when visiting Houston, and if you live here or nearby, this restaurant should be on your short list...

1  Thank MyExpectations
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Sunday brunch here was fantastic. The food was superb. Every bite was scrumptious. The selection was more than ample.

My only negative is that it was quite loud. The band playing was very harmonic and agreeable but it was difficult to visit with family over them.