“Exceptional, almost.....”
Review of Hugo's

Hugo's
Ranked #14 of 8,313 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Mexican, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Neartown/ Montrose
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Would have to say we had some of the best Mexican food we have ever had. The service was superb and enjoyed the ambiance. The tuna tacos followed by the lamb shank in mole sauce was cooked to perfection.
However we were hugely disappointed when there was a "mark up" on our bill when my friend and I asked for it to be split. Soured what was a very pleasant experience.

There are newer reviews for Hugo's

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Spectacular steaks with prices to match. Service impecable. Food quality excellent. I stuck with the beef options but others liked their other options.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Hugo's was my favorite restaurant ever; my husband and I desided to go there every anniversary if we could make it to Houston. We acctually had our daughters baptism party there. So that's why I was really heart broken with our last experience.
We don't live in Houston anymore, but come back as soon as we can and we chose Hugo's to celebrate our family reunion. We were very excited to go for the Sunday brunch and obviously it was packed, even with a reservation, we still waited for almost an hour but we found seats at the bar and I must say the bartender was amazing! great drinks and great attitude. Live music was great too.
We finally got our table for 7 right by the only window without a courtain, so the 1 pm sun was hitting directly over one of the chairs. There was a lizard on the floor by the window apparently taking the sun, I'm not particularly afraid of them but I told the waiters about it and they didn't mind either.
I volunteered to seat in the "hot spot" , but 20 minutes later I couldn't take it anymore, I was sweating and couldn't even enjoy my meal; and neither the rest of my family, the whole table was hot.
We asked the waiters for a solution, i had to stand up, my husband took my place but couldn't take it either. The manager came and said he would move us as soon as he could, but sadly they gave 2 or 3 large tables away before they moved us. :( I still don't know why!
Meanwhile some of us were standing up at the lobby or by the stairs, and some other had to eat ( the older and the kids). By the time they moved us, half of our party had finish eating, and the other half wasn't really hungry anymore. The new table didn't even had enough silverware for all.
The manager wouldn't even look at me anymore. At the end they just handded the check and did not charge for one person.
In my 10 years of Concierge expirience I've learned, and I'm sure the manager must've heard of this, when a guest has a bad experience you go talk to them and let them know you are aware of the problem, that you are trying your best to make it better and ask them how you can make them happy.
They totally ignored me and basically just expected for us to leave and stay quiet just because they didn't make me pay for my meal.
To think we've been dreaming of Hugo's for a year! ;(

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Love this place, been there many times while living in Houston. Awesome wine list (not cheap, but then that’s normal in Houston), good ritas. Great to sit at the bar have a bottle and order a bunch of small plates from their bar menu or the appetizers. Nice way to try a variety. Also don’t miss Sunday brunch. Well worth the money as you can try many of their offerings for one price. Valet parking although I generally find annoying, comes in handy after brunch as making it all the way to your car might be a bit challenging on your full stomach.
Don’t miss the Barbacoa, Cochinita Pibil and the Cabrito… damn, just writing this makes me want to go back…

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Went here on a whim, and boy was I happy with my choice. The valet parking is a plus, they even wash your car!! The wait staff was very welcoming and friendly. We were doted on the moment we arrived, until the moment we left. The food was amazing and so satisfying!!! Can't wait to take my family, and friends here for a great evening of fun and delicious authentic mexican food!!!