“NYC Style English Pub IN Houston - Go Figure”
Review of Black Labrador Pub

Black Labrador Pub
Ranked #1,186 of 8,451 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Happens to me my girlfriend's favorite restaurant when she lived in Houston. Good grub pub food, good value and a very relaxing atmosphere. Friendly wait staff

Reviewed February 15, 2014

A recent experience at this pub was most disappointing. A very reasonably priced "Beef Wellington" turned out to be a nice meat pie that was like Beef Wellington only in that it involved beef (chunks, not the tenderloin) and pastry. Also their take on "trifle " bore no resemblance whatsoever to the dessert.

This is likely a nice place to have a beer and then move on to a restaurant.

2  Thank jbstew44
Reviewed February 2, 2014

We had given up on trying to experience English food in Houston. We've tried a couple of pubs in Houston with disappointing results. Our son happened on the restaurant and told us we needed to give it a go.

When you've traveled to UK many times and your traveling companion is British, you do have a frame of reference.
The Black Labrador is tucked away in the museum district. We were encouraged by how clean and tastefully decorated, 'pubbish' but not over done.

We arrived during Sunday Brunch and I had Scotch Eggs and English Toast. My British friend ordered Shepard's Pie, this would be the true test! Yes, the mashed potato topping were "real" potatoes and not instant. She gave it 2 thumbs up. The Scotch Eggs came with potatoes and sausage, both were outstanding.

Our only negative, we shared it with our server, MARGARINE! at an English pub!!

If you are not into the British cuisine, there are lots of other choices on the menu.

Cannot wait for our next trip to Houston.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

We had family over for xmas and before going to a show decided to pop over to the Black Lab for dinner, this was at 4-30pm, so the chef was not busy. Food awful, nothing like English fish and chips, fish and batter soggy, spicy chips and no veg, no idea. Next was the shepherds pie, again not very appealing and covered in cheese, I have to say the only thing that tasted any good was the sausages which I guess were bought in. Overall ,overpriced warmed up food which as the title suggests is not helping our reputation as a food culture to try.
The fish and chips which I would presume to be their signature dish would not be served by a drunken Englishmen having a bad day . Will never go back, totally embarassed at taking the family there.

3  Thank Stan G
Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

I did a search for pubs in Houston and since I have a black lab and love dark beer, this seemed like the perfect place.

I arrived at night and after some difficultly finding the restaurant (no lighted signage) I entered what appeared to be a true English pub. I was actually a little surprised at its authenticity. I was expecting an American bar that called itself a pub. A really nice surprise.

I asked to be seated in a corner so I could make some phone calls and not disturb the other diners. I got the table but the hostess must have forgotten to tell the waitress I was there.

After a wait someone found me, brought me a dark beer and made recommendations for dinner. I had the English sampler. Again another pleasant surprise. It's a lot of food so be prepared.

I will be back. Hopefully with friends.

1  Thank TwoGuysinMemphis