“Favorite eats in Houston”
Review of Irma's Original

Irma's Original
Ranked #381 of 8,283 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Serving Mexican specialties 6 days a week, Irma's offers guests an ever-changing selection of breakfast and lunch items. There is nothing like grandma's homemade Mexican cooking and that is exactly what you'll receive here at Irma's! Come and join us.
“Favorite eats in Houston”
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Always have to lunch at Irma's when in Houston. Chili rellenos are the best and the lemonade is our favorite - fruity and sweet. Irma's comes out to greet us every time we eat there! Love it......

Houston, Texas
“Best chiles rellenos ever!”
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

I grew up in South Texas, and TexMex food is pretty much everywhere. Even at home where my mom and aunts made excellent Mexican food, I could just never take a liking to chiles rellenos - they always seemed to have too much batter or too much salt or something. However, I'd heard the chiles rellenos at Irma's were incredible so I thought I'd give them a try. Well, it was one of those OMG moments as these chiles rellenos were outstanding! It's hard for me to order anything else now because they are that good. In addition, Irma Galvan, the owner, is always there visiting the patrons to make sure your food is good and hot. She is so involved in making sure your dining experience is wonderful that she seems to recognize everyone by name. Irma's is a must visit in Houston for authentic and delicious Mexican food.

Houston, Texas
“best mexican food in Houston”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We love this restaurant for its spinach enchiladas, its cheese enchiladas, its chile rellenos and its tea and lemonade....all so delicious and fresh.
Service is friendly, one is treated like family. You are likely to meet Irma and her kids when you visit. The decor is eccentric and very personal - old dolls, mardi gras beads, photos, business cards, outsider art.
The prices are a little high, but the experience is many steps above the usual in Houston, Texas.

“Great food and service”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Dined here for the first time prior to attending a concert at Toyota Center, very convienent. Although we were first time diners by the time we left you would have thought we had been going for years considering the friendliness and awesome service. Yes menu is limited but everything we ordered was prepared fresh and tasted great. Margaritas were so much better than most you get at the chain TexMex places. Fish tacos for the best. Our server also brought us a couple of off menu items to try out, they were too delicious and appreciated. Irma visited our table and after dinner showed us around her restaurant. We can't wait to go back when basesball season starts.

Cincinnati
“Why do people get so excited about this place?”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Several people told me that I "had to try" Irma's when in Houston. So, I was in Houston for a business meeting and I asked a couple of the locals to take me. Their response was sort of "why?" but they indulged me. Turned out they were right. It was expensive, the food was not great, and the person who took care of us (who I think was the bartender) was pretty overbearing about pushing more food and so forth on us. Really, the place is nothing special. I've paid less for better Mexican in Texas and, frankly, have paid less for better Mexican in several other cities across the US as well.

On the plus side, the margarita that I had was pretty good. Not overbearingly sweet like many that you get at various places.

My opinion... skip Irma's