“Return Visit......As Good as the First!”
Review of Raven Grill

Raven Grill
Ranked #331 of 9,027 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: University Place
Reviewed May 28, 2018 via mobile

Great food, attentive service, nice wine list. We enjoyed the pecan encrusted chicken and cedar plank salmon. Both cooked to perfection. Sweet potatoes and beans on the side. Yummy again and will return!

Reviewed May 20, 2018

When visiting the Museum District in Houston my “go-to” restaurant up until now has been The Raven Grill. Why? It represented good quality, fair price, reasonable quantity and a lovely atmosphere.

Sorry to report that this weekend changed my perception. A friend and I arrived about 7 PM without a reservation and were immediately seated at a lovely table. I was surprised that the place was not overflowing.

I decided to try the veggie plate, while my friend ordered the rainbow trout (usually another good choice). I was told that my request for asparagus rather than green beans would require an upcharge and I decided to accept. After an appreciable wait (surprising, since the restaurant was not busy), the plates arrived. I could see the steam rising from the fish.

I dug into the freshly grilled portobello mushroom, only to find it drowned in salty spices. Next I tried the sweet potato—barely warm. I dug into the squash casserole—barely warm. My friend’s green lentils accompanying the fish were also barely warm but she did not return them. Aside from the newly grilled portobello and the asparagus, the other choices appeared as if they had been sitting out for a while.

The waiter responded to my request for service and asked if I would like a new plate or to have this warmed. I suggested that the kitchen make that call. A bit later, the plate arrived with a new portobello mushroom, which I did not try, but I noticed that the veggies on my returned plate appeared as before. The plate itself was at room temp and I again tried the selections—no change. The waiter once more took the plate back and I asked him to cancel the order since my friend was almost finished with her dinner. I ordered a coffee and requested that it be served hot. It was. I was not charged for the dinner or coffee, but more importantly no Manager appeared at any time to to discuss the problems.

I will not be returning.

Reviewed May 15, 2018

Decided to stop in on the spur of the moment. We sat outside in thier quaint garden patio. We split a salad, had 2 entrees, 2 glasses of wine and it hit the spot. Enjoyed the menu and perusing a decent wine list. Salad was robust and larger than expected. Salmon steak was perfect. Chicken Enchiladas were good but a touch dry, mainly due to the tortilla. However, the salsa made up for it.

Reviewed March 23, 2018 via mobile

Stopped in while visiting Rice U. Sat out on covered patio--great atmosphere. Service was very friendly. Food was delivered quickly and was all pretty good. Just a nice quiet place to relax in a beautiful neighborhood. Would definitely go back.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed March 4, 2018

We have eaten at The Raven Grill many times. It never disappoints. We brought a family member here for a nice lunch. The noise level is low and we were able to have a conversation, which is always nice. The service is great without being over done.
The food as always was very good. I had broiled trout served over a warm spinach salad. It was cooked to perfection.
My dessert was amazing. It was a fruit tart (black berry), which reminded me of something that I had had visiting in England.
It was a wonderful experience and we all promised each other we would be back soon.

Date of visit: March 2018