“I'd Give It A 2nd Shot...”
Review of Raven Grill

Raven Grill
Ranked #362 of 8,203 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: University Place
Houston, Texas
“I'd Give It A 2nd Shot...”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

My husband and I stopped at the Raven Grill for an early lunch before visiting the Museum of Fine Arts. I found the atmosphere to be nice and there is also a patio for outdoor dining. Our waitress was very friendly. I ordered the spicy southwestern shrimp Caesar ($13) and my husband ordered the Raven dinner, three chicken flautas topped with tomatillo sauce with herb rice and beans ($14). The food arrived quickly however, I must admit to being a bit disappointed with my salad - at first glance it was a huge salad but upon closer inspection it was really about 98% romaine lettuce; the menu showed a black bean/corn salsa, mesquite grilled shrimp, and a spicy Caesar dressing). Four shrimp, perhaps a tablespoon of the bean/corn salsa, and a slew of tortilla slivers...I just didn't see the value behind this dish. Also my spicy Caesar dressing was not spicy at all, and I'm not usually one who loves really hot dishes. On the other hand, my husbands flautas were delicious and not greasy at all, his herb rice was bland and the beans were nothing special though. I think I would give the Raven Grill a second chance but would order something different.

• Visited March 2013

Minnesota
“Delightful dining spot”
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

We were at the Texas Medical Center and looked around online for a non-chain restaurant nearby. This one sounded interesting and not over the top expensive. We were pleasantly surprised to be seated in a lovely outdoor covered patio with wonderful ambiance. The menu was diverse but after enjoying the fantastic tower of rings I just had a strawberry spinach salad. My husband had fish tacos and we finished off with a giant piece of carrot cake, half of which we took home. The food was all great, the service was pleasant and perfectly attentive and the whole experience couldn't have been better.

Katy, Texas
“Outstanding value”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Been here 3 times, most recently yesterday. I find it an outstanding place. Nice wine list and great food. I have always stuck with their grilled offerings, which are many. They have a nice wood grill. They take reservations, which I recommend as it's a small dining room and quite crowded. Nice bar.

• Visited March 2013
Houston
“West U Local”
Reviewed December 24, 2012

The Raven is just a perfect little local. Very low key, very good food, attentive service, reasonable prices, indoor or outdoor dining. It's hard to pin down why it's so likable - it just is. A regular stop for us going to and from the Med Center and the Museum District. Limited parking - go early or late.

Visited August 2012
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Indoor and outdoor”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Nice place in Houston's most interesting neighbourhood. No reservations taken for less than two people, but never ran into a completely full house. Outdoor seating is nice, perhaps with the exception of the headlights of the cars moving about on the parking lot, but then hey,Houston is one big parking lot so hard to escape. Good wine list for reasonale prices, we had a pretty good Malbec for less than thirty. Food imaginative and not too expensive for the quality offered. Overall warmly recommended for casual dinn with a relaxed but upscale crowd.

• Visited December 2012