“Used to be Better”

Ranked #390 of 8,381 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: Mai’s Restaurant was established in 1978. Over the past three decades, we have had the honor to serve the Houston community with our precious family recipes. Mai's Restaurant is committed to providing our patrons with a truly authentic and delicious Vietnamese dining experience. Our goal is to deliver excellence and consistency in product, service, and hospitality. We measure our success by the loyalty of our patrons and staff.
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Went to Mia's for lunch. I haven't been in awhile. To be frank it was terrible and ridiculously expensive.
First we ordered an appetizer...the Cha Gio (fried spring rolls). I'm not a fan of fried food to begin with but my buddy wanted them. The came out piping hot with plenty of lettuce to wrap them in. The only thing was they were so greasy that I could have lube the suspension on my car from what was just dripping off these things...gross.
I ordered the (Ga Luc Lac (Garlic Chicken) and my friend got the Bo Luc Lac (Garlic Beef). Even tho we were there for lunch the cost was $12.00 plus they charge and extra $3.00 for the broccoli, $3.00 for the mushrooms, $3.00 for snow peas and $3.00 for asparagus....shouldn't all this already be IN the dish to begin with?! Any so if you want this this single lunch dish is $24.00! That is ridiculas and frankly insulting to this Yelper. Almost anywhere else this is a $10.00 dish...
The entrees came out and of course my chicken was way over cooked as well with my friends beef. Oh yeah...they gave us a small bowl of white rice to share....LOL
The only reason why they get two stars is because the service was very good and the place is very nice on the inside.

1  Thank Montecore1

Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

It has been at least a year since I have eaten here. I remember the food being simple but of good quality. On this occassion the grilled beef and chicken was flavorful but very dry.

Not the reliable dining experience I recall.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Given all the hype & positive reviews, my family decided to try Mai's, BUT we did not end up staying because it was abundantly clear that the staff did not need or want our business! We were ignored upon arrival by several of the staff and stood at the door for a few minutes while servers walked by but did not offer to seat us. When we were finally acknowledged by an apathetic server, we were led past many empty table to the very back of the restaurant, close to the kitchen doors. As we were escorted to this less-than-desirable table, the waiter stopped to offer additional napkins to a table of patrons along the way. We asked to be seated at a different table toward the front and by a window, and the waiter waved his hand to allow us to move ourselves and proceeded to give napkins to another table. We carried our own menus and moved but were ignored by multiple other waiters. No drinks orders were taken, no silverware given, and no service provided at all! UNBELIEVABLE! After being treated so badly in a fully staffed and not busy restaurant on a weeknight, we decided that the hype and good food reviews could not make up for such abysmal service, so we got up and left. As we walked toward the door to leave, the waiter who seated us looked surprised but did nothing to stop us or inquire if there was a problem; he just stood there stunned but apathetic! The heavy set man tending the bar area (whom my son thought looked like a sumo wrestler) also did nothing from the moment we walked in to the time we walked out! A third waiter also looked perplexed and seemed to make eye contact with the one who seated us at the bad table as if to ask, "what happened?" but also didn't say a single word to us as we walked past to leave!
We ended up trying the relative newcomer Simply Pho just a few doors down the street and were greeted and welcomed with smiles and immediate seating. The service was very good (attentive but not intrusive), the food was tasty (delicious crispy cha gio egg rolls and very fresh and clean vegetables on the side), the prices very reasonable (significantly cheaper than Mai's), and they even offered free tea or coffee on Mon or Tues nights respectively!
So if you want an over-rated restaurant where the staff are apathetic and clueless, prices are high, and the ambiance is poor considering all the publicity about the restaurant's decor after being rebuilt, then go to Mai's! The staff may certainly ignore you and treat you as if they don't need or want your patronage! However, in a city of our size, there are so many good Vietnamese restaurants that it just isn't necessary to buy into the hype of this place! There are decent competitors just down or across the street!

1  Thank HoustonFoodLovinMom
MaisGeneralManager, General Manager at Mai's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

First and foremost, on behalf of Mai's Restaurant, I would like to thank you for giving our establishment a try. I am truly sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations, and moreover, that we were not even able to give you the full experience that we are capable of.

It is of great value to us that you took the time out of your day to review your experience and we will definitely address this matter to the entire staff, and particularly to the shift mentioned so that we may continue to grow as a company.

We would love the opportunity to serve you should you consider. Please call Mai's Restaurant directly and ask to speak to myself, Anna Pham, and I will ensure that your experience will be a far cry from your first. Please allow us the opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Anna Pham

Reviewed June 24, 2013

great value, and great tasting food! first try at Vietnamese, and i cant wait to go back! food was a large portion, i had the vermicelli noodles with chicken, the chicken was so moist and flavorful. the food was a lot, i had to take some home, and for 10 dollars that i spent on my plate, completely worth it. the service was great, and the restaurant is beautiful!

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Tasty food, have been going there since college. However newer and more rustic competition has emerged, which offers a better bang for the buck and substance.