“Everything is to die for: the people, the food, the service”

Ambassador Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #642 of 8,502 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 1, 2011

Before you can even get to being halfway done w/ your water/lemonade it's filled up to the brim again. Amazing food, everything is delicious and it really is a comfortable place.

2  Thank DaveyTravelin

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed March 18, 2008

The Hot Braised Shrimp dish over here is to die for...

2  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed April 4, 2007

Being raised in the melting pot of Los Angeles where great seafood is plentiful and secret "hole-in-the-wall" restaurants thrive, culture oozing out of their kitchens, Houston Texas was, in my eyes, a far cry from home. With the Gulf being ravaged from Hurricane Katrina, the seafood here is just far from anything my pallette is used to. I slao have been on a mission to find an authentic Chinese food restaurant, and it took me 6 long months to find it. Now that I have, I must pass it along as I am an avid food lover and cook myself.

Since I was a child, I always had a place where I would go to get my Chinese food. It was called Soo Way, and it was around for so long that my mother worked there as a cashier when she was 13 and as I was growing up, the owners STILL ran it. I'm telling you the BEST food came out of that tiny little place... I believe I have found their distant relatives out here in Houston. The Ambassador uses all organic vegetables and all white meat. Their seafood is shipped in from the Pacific, and is some of the best you can get. The owners have been there for 30 years and know all their customers. They make it a point to come to your table and ask you if everything is ok - Every time.

I recommend the braised prawns, shrimp in lobster sauce, shrimp fried rice, kung pao chicken, jumbo shrimp egg rolls, chow mein, or even their moo goo gai pan. Nothing is greasy, every bite is full of flavor, and the portions and meat are very generous - you will not go home hungry. If you order a shrimp dish, I guarantee you will have enough shrimp for your vegetables and rice. It's definitely not your $4.99 3 item meal deal type of place, but it's not over the top either. I would say being overly cautious including tax and tip it will probably run you $15.00 a plate, however if you have children there is PLENTY to share. Most everything comes with steamed rice on the side too. I would highly recommend this place to travelers and Houstonians, as it is by far hands down the best Chinese Food Restaurant in Houston.

Did I mention they deliver too? YES, they do!!! I recently called after a very long day filled with meetings, and didn't get a chance to even get to the phone until 9:30 PM. Mind you, they close at 10. They were so accomidating that they took my order and one of the women dropped my food off to me on her way home. It was 10:20 PM when my food arrived, too hot for me to eat it was so fresh, and even at that hour after I'm SURE she was working all day, she greeted me with a smile like it was 10 in the morning. When I gave her a well-deserved 10 dollar tip, the look on her face was truly worth a thousand words. I would do it over again a million times. I hope you try the Ambassador Chinese Restaurant and see for yourself really great food still does exist.

1  Thank WellTraveledTipster