“Good enough when you're really hungry.”
Review of Ruggles Cafe Bakery - CLOSED

Ruggles Cafe Bakery
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: University Place
Reviewed September 3, 2013

With all of the "new" items on the menu, surprised to find gluten-free options were limited. Chose from the skinny menu opting for jerk fish tacos and bowl of vegetable soup. Good enough, but nothing to rave about. I'd try some of the other places around town before returning for another ho-hum meal.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Ate there for Mother's Day. 5 of the 7 dishes we wanted were unavailable because they "ran out of ingredients". We spoke to the manager about this and she said "they were busy". We wrote to the owners and did not receive a response. That was our last visit to that restaurant.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Food was great. Great desserts and great sandwiches and salads. I liked everything about Ruggles. The wait staff was very friendly. The location was very convenient

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Our visits always end with the white chocolate bread pudding is our favorite with tea or coffee. My family and I love also the soups and sandwiches.

1  Thank PatriciaPP63
Reviewed June 8, 2013

My husband and I visited our son and his wife in Houston recently, and we had some time to kill, so we decided to try Ruggles. My father-in-law said their desserts were the reason they came. Their service is great, even though you go up to the counter to order. They bring you your meals and then later your desserts. The girl at the counter even remembered who ordered what, and they were very busy. The line was long, but quick, so we waited only 5-7 minutes. Way worth it! They also have an outdoor patio, and I saw one couple walked up,bringing their polite pooch, who waited with dad while mom ordered their meal. Very casual and chic. In the Rice area. I skipped the meal completely and went straight for dessert. I got the Coconut Cream Cake. It is one of the 5 best desserts I've ever eaten. It was huge, hence the reason for skipping dinner. The cake was warm; the coconut was toasted and sweet; the frosting was creamy and a delight. It was served with a special vanilla ice cream, and I immediately told several people how superb it was. Seriously! My husband ate a deep fudge brownie with ice cream, which was rich, dark and extremely dense. It was great, too, but I swear, you GOTTA try the coconut cream cake. I love baking, and will try to replicate this recipe. I don't know, there's only 1 heaven, and there's only 1 Ruggles! (several locations, lol!)