“Wonderful food and ambiance”
Review of Mockingbird Bistro - CLOSED

Mockingbird Bistro
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: McDuffie
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Looked for a restaurant open on a Sunday evening for dining before the theater. Hadn't been to Mockingbird Bistro for a good year so was glad to see they were open on Sunday's. We sat at a window table, but they do have a happy hour with great prices on spirits and food if you choose to sit at the large, comfortable bar.
I ordered the lamb and my husband ordered the grouper, which was the fish special that evening. We also shared a Caesar salad, which they split for us.
I am embarrassed to say I forgot that the food was so fabulous. I ordered my lamb medium rare and it came out perfect; tender and flavorful. My husband's grouper was a generous portion; moist and perfectly prepared. The service was spot on and the wine selection quite adequate.
I will not let a year pass again before dining at Mockingbird Bistro!

Reviewed May 30, 2014

Located in a run down strip center in the middle of a residential area, Mockingbird Bestro is an absolute gem. The rustic, yet elegant atmosphere is charming and the food is very, very good.
I had the onion soup, which I though was outstanding.. it was a deep beef broth.. My friend had the stone crab special which was spectacular.

They have a cool bar .. I went for lunch, but I could see how this place could be a great place for a evening drink.. Though the bar is the main focus of the restaurant and it is possible that it could get loud.. Will have to come back to check it out..

Services was also very attentive.

Really enjoyed and will return

Reviewed May 13, 2014

Our first visit to this restaurant - located in an older residential section near River Oaks. We went for Mother's Day lunch and the restaurant had a fixed price menu. Unlike several restaurants we have been to before, the fixed menu had a nice variety - 3 appetizers, at least 7 or 8 mains and I believe 3 (possibly 4) desserts. The appetizers were terrific (I had their gumbo), the mains were very good (I had lamb medallions that were cooked perfectly) and the desserts were great as well (I had Whiskey Pecan bread pudding).

I rate the food a '5' but we were on the fixed price menu so we didn't see the entire restaurant menu.

The only hiccup we had in the visit was that my wife had ordered the salmon dish and it arrived cold at the table. To the credit of the staff, once informed they quickly scooped up the plate and within minutes brought another, hot salmon entree'.

We will be back, hopefully to offer a 5 on the full menu!

Reviewed March 22, 2014

You will never be disappointed ..John Shelley always comes through, I have eaten lunch, dinner and wine dinners here.. The man knows how to run a restaurant ..

Reviewed March 4, 2014

My husband and I came here for an impromptu date night after grandma offered to watch the kids on a whim one night (yay!). We hopped in the car without knowing where we were headed. My husband drove towards town while I yelped good vittles and came across Mockingbird Bistro. They allowed us to make a reservation for an hour later and treated us like royalty the whole time. The place is just gorgeous inside and the food absolutely divine. While it is a bit pricey, it was worth it for a rare and last-minute night out. I highly recommend this place to anyone.