“Best hideaway secret!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: McDuffie
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Great happy hour, food, service & atmosphere...The bar is a wonderful place to wind your day down - - dinner with friends on a cold winter evening is perfect!

Reviewed November 23, 2012

We joined friends for a quiet Thanksgiving lunch at the Mockingbird. Service was great, All wait and service staff were friendly, kind, and informative.The choices were from a special menu which made the experience more formal and more intimate than a buffet. The turkey, dressing and sides were good. My husband's sea bass was delicious. The butternut squash bisque and lobster risotto were wonderful. We all ordered different desserts, all were very good. A great Thanksgiving. We do not eat out usually on Thanksgiving, but this was a great way to spend time with friends, eat a delicious meal, and have a special but different experience on Thanksgiving.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

HRW 2012 provided me the perfect opportunity to try this much heralded restaurant. Reservations were made, and upon arrival we were treated to a wonderful evening.
I drove around the block a couple times before deciding to valet park. Too much of a hassle looking for parking, and it was getting close to our dinner reservation. The restaurant itself is a renovated and restored old house sitting smack dab in the middle of a neighborhood hence the parking situation. Still, it adds to the charm of this place.

For starters I had the sweet corn souffle and my wife had the onion soup. The souffle was good, not quite what I was expecting but good. It was more of a flan consistency than souffle and did not have very much lobster in it as stated. Portion was also really small. The onion soup my wife ordered was good as well. Nothing great, but good and satisfying.

Entrees were cab filet for me and grilled half chicken for her. I tried to convince her to get the sea bass, but she wanted the chicken. The filet was pretty good. Portion again was pretty small, but it had good flavor and the Stilton crust on top complimented the beef perfectly. The chicken was tasty as well. Nicely cooked with a homemade mango BBQ sauce that had good flavor.

Dessert was an assortment of the 3 they offered. You did not get to choose one, instead were brought 3 mini desserts. This afforded us the opportunity to sample them all. The apple bread pudding was amazing. I wish I was able to have ordered just that, because that was going to be my selection. The other options were good as well, but did not compare to the apple bread pudding. I may return here just to have that and some coffee some time. That good.

Service was of course terrific. From the time we walked in and were greeted by the hostess and manager and throughout our dinner service, everything went great. Our waiter was very considerate and timely with the courses. He refilled our glasses and checked in on us periodically without being obtrusive. I highly recommend this place and it is a must eat.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

The Mockingbird staff and food never disappoint. FANTASTIC wine menu! This local foodie highly recommends!

Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband, some friends and I ate at Mockingbird for the first on Saturday and we all decided that this one of our new favorite restuarants in Houston. We all had something different and we all loved our meals. The service was great but not pushy, e.g., the menus were not put infront of right away so we had some time to chat. It has an great wine list. The atmosphere and decor was great, one of my friends commented it felt European (which I agreed with the exception it seated more than average European high end restuarant). We will be back.