“Good food, middling value”
Review of Kubo's Sushi Bar & Grill - CLOSED

Kubo's Sushi Bar & Grill
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: University Place
Cross street: Morningside Dr.
Reviewed June 5, 2014

I lived in Japan from 2003-2012, cook Japanese at home, and have been to many Japanese restaurants. This place is not run by Japanese people (not the staff, not the chefs), which usually means the food will be prepared incorrectly; however, I was pleasantly surprised by my first visit for dinner--the food was pretty good and closer to authentic than the other Japanese restaurant I tried in Houston. My only disappointment was in the prices. The positive experience I had the first time was enough to get me to come back a second time for lunch. I would go back again for lunch. I'd still prefer to find someplace a bit more authentic and a bit more reasonable in pricing.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

A bit overpriced for the quality. But we had a big group, so one on one they may be better.But they did have sushi boats upon request, and that was pretty cool.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Love coming here on my lunch break. The sushi specials are fantastic. They even have all day happy hour specials on Sundays which includes deals on rolls and drinks.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

We are regulars at several good sushi restaurants in Houston including Uchi and Kata Robata. Kubo's is just plain terrible. The fish is not fresh and probably all frozen. At 7pm on a Saturday night, they were only two other tables occupied. That says it all.....

1  Thank Std63nyc
Reviewed May 12, 2013

A lot of Japanese business men go there. That give you an idea of the quality of the place. Not like Tokyo but close enough.... Friendly staff, reasonable price, and plenty of choice on the menu. Go for it!!