“Just as I remembered from childhood!”

Brennan's of Houston
Reserve with OpenTable
Brennan's of Houston is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 8,310 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Stuart
Description: Since our 1967 opening as a sister restaurant to the world-famous Commander's Palace in New Orleans, Brennan's of Houston has evolved into the city's premier destination for memorable dining served with true Southern hospitality. From the reservationist to the waiters, chefs and every associate behind the scenes, our team is focused on the highest standard of excellence and equally dedicated to creating enduring memories of snapshots in time: the sealing of business deals, wedding proposals, joyful celebrations, and the marking of significant milestones along life's way. And the proof is in the (bread) pudding, with loyal patrons returning time and again to create new memories.Reflecting the same warmth as our friendly greeting, each farewell concludes with Brennan's signature lagniappe: an abundance of unforgettably fresh pecan pralines.
Reviewed December 25, 2013

I reserved a table at Brennan's about 2 months in advance. My sister, who still lives in LA and my father who is in Houston, hadn't been to Brennan's since I had back in the late 70s or early 80s. She was convinced it was closed since all the locations in New Orleans have now closed. I stayed firm. I was looking for an "old school" venue to celebrate an early Christmas when we landed for an overnight layover in Houston on the way to Belize. Brennan's did not disappoint!

Crowded? You bet. All sorts of interesting people including old Houston families with their extendeds to young people clearly out on an "early in the relationship" date. The atmosphere was traditional but not stodgy and the number of small dining rooms made each feel cozy but not loud. Another bonus....no rush! We got our menus in good time after a nice Sazzarach from the bar (not on the menu but OOOh so delicious). The food? Good to very good. Not a Michelin star but certainly tasty.

So why choose Brennan's in a city full of foodies and 4000 restaurants? Because of the service! Holy moly. Our waiter has been at Brennan's for 19 years and he clearly loves his job and the family that owns the place. Funny, charming, delightful - he was part of the ambience that made our night memorable. In fact, at the end of the evening, he took us on a tour that included the kitchen, the history, fact and fiction....whatever, it was fantastic.

So, want to know the cons? Not too happy that they wouldn't allow us to pay corkage. I appreciate that they believe in their sommelier; however, we live in CA, we collect wine, and this was a once in 10 years holiday family gathering...They could have doubled their margin going with the corkage rather than selling us a bottle that we weren't really that impressed with anyway. I don't really understand this because we would have ordered a nice bottle of champagne to start and cocktails beforehand....ok, not my rules.

Actually, I must admit, that was my only con. Again, if you are looking for Michelin star rated food, go to a Michelin star rated restaurant but if you're looking for a wonderful evening full of atmosphere and charm, try Brennan's - again.

There are newer reviews for Brennan's of Houston

Reviewed December 25, 2013

We made reservations three months in advance for the Thanksgiving prix fix dinner. Valets were very efficient. We arrived 20 minutes early and made ourselves comfortable in the bar. The bar service was very slow. We ordered an interesting pumpkin cocktail, and it did not arrive until 10 minutes after we were seated at our table.

The prix fix menu offered excellent variety. We ordered turtle soup and gumbo. Both were excellent. For the main courses we ordered redfish and duck, respectively. The entrees would have been perfect had they been served promptly. We observed the entrees sitting for over 5 minutes before our overwhelmed server could bring them from the fireplace staging area to our table. Disappointing to say the least! My fish was good but had cooled significantly. The duck was superb. The desert was great, almost making up for the grave error in service with the entrees.

Had the restaurant been properly staffed and running like normal, we would have probably given the top rating to Brennan’s. This was not my first visit, and previously the service was outstanding. But for a special occasion, the sub-par service was not acceptable.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

Excellent seafood. Menu is a good combination of classic and creative. Their private rooms of various sizes make it ideal for groups. The free pralines on the way out are world class treats.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

First let me say that I love the Brennan's in Houston and eat there at least once a month. We just got back from a vacation in New Orleans and had a fabulous meal at Commander's Palace. The comparison is very favorable. Had wonderful meals at both. Menus are similar

Soups delicious, fish entree's awesome, deserts off the chart. Great ambiance at both places.

So don't pass up going to the Houston Brennan's to celebrate any occasion.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

So we went for my mother's 60th birthday. Now I have been several times before and had nothing but stellar experiences. While the food was still good, our service fell very short. No one checked on our food after it was brought out (and we had issues), water was spilled and no one came to help clean up, and then we could not find anyone to bring the bill. All in all, service keeps these places in business and I will not be going back for a while, too many other options in Houston.

1  Thank Ryan S