“Nice staff”

Massa's South Coast Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Massa's South Coast Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #176 of 8,435 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: American, Cajun & Creole, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Family owned and operated seafood restaurant with a South Coast twist.
Reviewed January 26, 2014

My husband and I were wondering around downtown looking for a place to eat after arriving late in the afternoon. Since we had just arrived we weren't sure where to go. We saw this place on our walk so I looked it up on tripadvisor, saw it had pretty good reviews so we decided to eat here. The menu had a lot of shellfish which I'm allergic to so my choices were limited. I had the Mahi Mahi and it was very good and not over cooked at all. The green beans were tasty and the mashed potatoes were excellent.
Beware of the house salad if you're allergic to shellfish, it has shrimp on it. I noticed it and the waiter had no problem getting me a fresh one without the shrimp
The waiters were knowledgeable about the menu and attentive without being obnoxious. They were very sensitive to the shellfish issue after I made them aware of it, which I should have done in the first place.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

I've probably walked by this place 10 or so times and thought I need to give it a try. Some nights it appears to be quite busy, while other nights it can be completely dead. Well I finally went and I'm quite happy I did. I had the herb crusted salmon and it was great. It came with sautéed spinach and sweet potato mash. The portion was generous for the price and the salmon was cooked perfectly. I can't wait to go again!

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Massa's not the best seafood restaurant in Houston. But the service form the front desk to the waiters and the owner are top notch. It's close to the convention center and a great place to take friends and clients. The wine list works and not over priced. The chowder soup is a good place to start. The food here is very constant and tasty. If your are not happy with your meal, let them know. They aim to please!

1  Thank Paris0813
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I visit Houston once a year, and could probably eat here everyday and be happy. The Redfish Ponchartrain is always divine. A person can't of wrong with any of their specials. Massas's is an easy walk from the convention center. The service is appropriately attentive and they have a decent wine list. I usually organize a group meal here, and have never heard a complaint from anyone in the group about the quality and flavor of their dishes.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Tried this based on TA reviews. We had been to Reef the previous night and liking seafood, and this being close to our hotel, thought we'd try it. Well, it was a bit mediocre to be honest. I had the chowder soup to start, which was excellent. We ordered the seafood platter and my wife the mahi mahi. The waiter must have missed the pass becuase two adjacent tables who'd ordered before us got served before we did. He apologised and explained that someone had taken the seafood platter so they were just preparing another. You can guess the result. The platter was piping hot and the mahi mahi was tepid. Typical Brits we didn't complain but the notwithstanding the above the seafood platter was okay but everything had the same non descript batter coating that made me think it had either come out of a frozen pre-pack or the chef had no imagination - everything tasted the same and resembled the marine equivalent of KFC. The mahi mahi was very over cooked- probably as a result of standing on a warming plate. We didn't stay for desert.