“Best restaurant in Houston”
Review of Masraff's

Masraff's
Reserve with OpenTable
Masraff's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #49 of 8,448 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Great Uptown
Description: Masraff's on Post Oak Blvd is a casually elegant upscale restaurant owned and operated by Houston restaurateurs, Tony and Russell Masraff. The restaurant has quickly become a local favorite with it's unique American cuisine and contemporary ambiance. Best described as American cuisine with a touch of Southern Europe, the seafood, fowl, homemade pastas, lamb, beef and seasonal game will satisfy the most discriminating diner. Soon after opening, Masraff's received stellar early reviews, including the prestigious three-star rating from the Houston Chronicle Dining Guide, as well as being named among the ten new restaurants on the culinary cutting edge in the US by The Wall Street Journal. For a delightful culinary experience, dine at the Chef's Table, where the Chef prepares a gourmet six -course dinner of his choosing. The Restaurant, which has recently moved to 1753 Post Oak Blvd from its former location at 1025 S.Post Oak Lane, seats over 200 for lunch and dinner.
Reviewed August 30, 2014

For me, a multi-course meal has its ups and downs: while one course is good, perhaps the rest isn't. However, Masraff's was an exception, as I enjoyed every single aspect in the three-course meal. Honestly, I thought dining here on HRW would be an one-time thing for me because of the high price, but in the end, I enjoyed Masraff's so much that I think I may have to return again before the next HRW!

Anyway, onward to the dishes!

-First course: Garlic seared calamari
As a seafood fan, I was already aiming for this dish when I was checking out the menu. This is the dish that both Yelp members and our waitress highly recommended for a reason.

The calamari dish used only the firm, meaty calamari of top-notch quality, complemented with fresh onion and mushroom and covered in a sweet, zesty sauce. Both the taste and the texture of this course were a true testament to the high quality ingredients that Masraff's uses and the skilled chefs that this restaurant employs. I had some good calamari before, but this is perhaps the best calamari dish I have ever had! Just when I was wondering how this meal could continue to go strong with such an amazing start, my entree course arrived.

-Entree course: Herb roasted lamb chop
I actually chose Masraff's for HRW because of this lamb chop, a personal favorite of mine that is unfortunately not common in many restaurants. I think lamb chop is not a common dish because it can be either the best dish ever if done right or the worst thing ever if something went wrong. Clearly from my rating, Masraff's lamb chop entree did not disappoint and has exceed my expectation!

The lamb chop was perfectly seasoned and brought out the best taste elements of lamb while concealing the lamb's inherent strange aftertaste that often ruined similar dishes at other places. The meat itself was juicy, which was surprising to me because the previous lamb chops I had at other places were dry from the less-skilled chefs' attempts to force out the strange aftertaste. This entree was certainly well done (Well, I actually got it cooked to be medium-rare) and the potato and mushroom hash was a nice touch!

-Third course: Creme de caramel
Admittedly, I am not classy enough to know what this was at first, so I assumed that this would some kind of creme brulee. In the sense, I was right! I'll have to reveal my lack of fine dining knowledge trying to explain what this dessert course is.

Creme de caramel is a custard with the texture similar to creme brulee on a plate, which also holds caramel sauce and a piece of biscuit. Because the caramel sauce is not directly on the custard, you can choose your desired amount. Despite having strong appetizer and entree preceding its appearance, creme de caramel did not pale in comparison with its sweetness that was at the perfect degree. This remarkable dessert was a fitting conclusion to this phenomenal three-course meal!

---
As you can see from my too-long review, I thoroughly enjoyed my dining experience at the Masraff's. I am usually not a fan of fine dining because I can't get full and still have to pay an unusually high price, but I actually walked out of the restaurant full and satisfied. Even for a cheapskate like me, I thought it was worth every cent! Sorry for not talking about the amazing service and awesome atmosphere because the food was simply too overwhelmingly good, but I would go as far to say that this is the best restaurant in Houston, Texas.

Reviewed August 28, 2014

We go to Masraff's whenever we have a chance because it is just so good.

This time we went for the Restaurant Weeks menu and were extremely pleased.

It was a tough call on the first course. I had the quail and my wife had the squid. They were both superb. Nicely spiced and flavourful.

We both had the lamb for our main course and of course it was excellent as usual.

We tried different things for dessert, forsaking our favorite chocolate for the meringue and the sorbets. What a great finish for a wonderful meal and our last for Restaurant Weeks.

Service was perfect and friendly, not obtrusive. We could eat at our own pace and talk with our friends.

They had some wine specials for RW which were very good and nicely priced. That was the first restaurant where we saw this and we thought it was an excellent idea.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

With widely spaced tables, gorgeous decor, impeccable service and wonderful food, this is a gem. The menu is varied and the descriptions of each item are almost amusing in length, but show the chef's creativity. Mr. Marsraff is on hand to visit the tables and his care shows. Ratio of servers to diners impressive. We dined in the wine cellar room, one of many, and enjoyed exceptional service in an atmosphere which allowed for conversation. Molten chocolate dessert a winner, so good for the pastry chef. Expensive but well worth it...highest recommendation plus complimentary parking, a rarity much appreciated.

1  Thank gay e
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Great food and wait staff. Impeccable wine list. Highly recommended. We have added this place to one of our favorite places to go in Houston...we will be back.

1  Thank Dean D
Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

Excellent food, nice ambiance. Well a little bit expensive. Average for two person consider $100 plus.
We took their Salmon and Steak fillet. Both were very good. As appetizer we took baby spinach salad, the dressing had lots of garlic! But overall very good. Will return one day to try their other things.