“A lovely meal”

Fleming's Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #135 of 8,695 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Afton Oaks/ River Oaks
Cross street: Argonne Street
Description: Fleming's Houston River Oaks, TX is an ongoing celebration of exceptional steak and wine. We are located Downtown Houston in River Oaks next to The Galleria, near Montrose and Uptown Houston.
Reviewed April 14, 2017

My friend loves this restaurant and took me along when I was recently in Houston. The ambience is very much like a traditional steakhouse but it was very comfortable. I ordered my filet blue and the waiter responded that I wanted it "black and blue". I corrected him and he said okay. There is a nice selection of wines by the glass. When my main came, the runner dropped off my meal, stating that my steak was "black and blue". I didn't really want to send it back, cut into it and told him that it was fine (and it was, although it was a little crusty on one side).

To her credit, the manager came over and apologized, saying that she did not think that there was a difference between blue and black and blue. I explained my opinion of the difference and she told us that our desserts were on the house. I thanked her but didn't want any dessert. She returned at the end of our dinner with a small box of four lovely truffles.

I was very impressed with her treatment of my relatively minor nit of the meal and will return when I am next in Houston.

2  Thank Bonnie G

Reviewed April 7, 2017 via mobile

Our father passed on Thursday April 6th 2017. That night we went to Flemings for dinner. While waiting for our table I saw a Raymond Cabernet wine in their display case, also the name of our father who passed. We commented that we have to celebrate Raymond's life by drinking this bottle of wine. Denise, who was working the front desk was visibly moved by our idea and took the 2008 vintage display bottle out and set it on our table. By the time Terrence our waiter came to greet us, many of the staff knew of our loss and celebration. The kindness and attention that was shown to our family, (a table of 6) still brings tears to my eyes. Mandy and the wait staff ensured that our meal and experience was one to comfort us and bring joy to the sad moment in our lives. To cap off the night the staff cleared our table after a magnificent meal and started putting desert plates in front of each of us. Then Mandy and Terrence brought out a beautiful tray of delicious desserts with "celebrating Raymond" written in gold on the rim of the platter! Everyone cried... we will never forget the kindness shown to our family in this time of grief. We laughed, we cried, we ate, we drank all in honor of Raymond and the staff at Flemings on Alabama Street in Houston, Texas, joined us. It was obvious to all that they took great pleasure in making this a once in a lifetime event.
Thank you from our family.
Dean Trevisol

1  Thank Voyager216338
Reviewed March 23, 2017 via mobile

Omg! This place was awesome! The food, service and atmosphere were phenomenal! We loved it! It was our first time here for our anniversary! We made reservation and let them know it was our anniversary and they made sure they took care of us for anniversary and acknowledged our anniversary! It was beautiful! Our server Pete was friendly and provided great service! I was able to talk to him and enjoyed conversation. Richard was awesome too! He kept making sure we were taken care of and checking on us. Highly recommend! Thank you Flemings! The Leonards

2  Thank Leonard2013
Reviewed March 16, 2017

A friend and I went to the Southern Hemisphere Wine Harvest Dinner at Fleming's (Steakhouse and Wine Bar). What you got for $99 was unbelievable. Amazing. Scrumptious. Fun. (I had not been to Fleming's in YEARS, so it was almost like trying it for the first time!)

The room was set with four tables of eight seats. We arrived early and were the second and third persons to sit, so we got great seats. The tables were lined with wine glasses galore! Let the party begin!

While we waited for the other guests to show up, we were served a Sophora Sparkling Rose from New Zealand. It was in what appeared to be a single-stem (as in a flower) glass. (Even if it was, we thought, what a clever idea!) A very refreshing rose. (I know, I need the accent on the "e".)

The "first course" was a shrimp dish served with what appeared to be spinach, but alas, it was arugula (we asked). None of us had every cooked arugula, we had only had it "raw" as part of a salad. It was delicious, as were the shrimp. The rose was paired with this dish.

Next, we were served a trio of lamb, salmon and filet mignon, 4 ounces each! All were served medium, and if I had been thinking, I would have asked mine all to be served medium-rare, which I prefer, but nonetheless, all was good!

Each 4 ounce item had a wine paired with it. My personal favorite wine was the Yalumba, Shiraz Barossa (Patchwork Australia) which was paired with the lamb. (So much so, that I will check it out at my local wine store.) My second favorite wine was the Cloudy Bay, Sauvignon Blanc (Marlborough New Zealand) that was paired with the salmon. My least favorite was the Catena, Malbec Mendoza Vista Flores Argentina. (I have not had a lot of Malbecs, so it may be a learning thing.)

Lastly, as if we had any room in our stomachs (no one at our table finished all the food), we were served Raspberry White Chocolate Bread Pudding. (Funny how even when you are stuffed, there is always room to eat ALL of the dessert!!)

We enjoyed talking to the other people at our table, and even made plans to have lunch with one of the women at our table as we had all been in the same profession (two of us retired, one still working) and knew a lot of the same people. So, for "out-of-towners" who are in Houston for a business trip, and don't know anyone in Houston, what a fun way to meet people and not have to dine alone! Or, if none of your friends want to go, go anyway!

Also, valet parking is complimentary, but give the guys a nice tip anyway.

1  Thank Lynn M
Reviewed March 12, 2017

Last night my husband and our college age daughter and I had dinner at Flemings. It was a last minute idea, so dinner wasn't until 8:30. The wedge and caesar salads were perfect. We then ordered 3 "small plates" which were just the right amount of food, and gave us a variety to share. The shrimp and scallops, ahi tuna and lamb chops were all cooked to perfection and tasted wonderful. (I have to say, so much better than our last experience several years ago - they clearly have stepped up their game!) The service was spot-on - just the right amount of attention and leaving us alone. Gotta put this place back on our go-to list!

1  Thank Kathleen H