“Delicious in a chic atmosphere”
Review of Benjy's Restaurant

Benjy's Restaurant
Ranked #143 of 8,399 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Kelvin
Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

Bagel fatoush salad was excellent, though I did notice that my neighbor's had much more bagel chips than mine. Kale salad did not look as appetizing but I did not try it. The crispy chicken was phenomenal - great crunch, no grease, nut encrusted. Scalloped potatoes, grilled brussell sprouts, and creamed corn complemented the dish. Carrot cake had a tangy yogurt topping and dried bits of flower which was just ok on taste.

Lighting was low for the dinner hour. Chairs comfortable with chic white leather upholstery. This restaurant is not the quietest. Location is great in Rice Village where there are neat shops.

I was taken here as a client so cant comment on value.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Had a great meal on the upstairs outside patio on a beautiful Houston evening. Enjoyed a tasty chicken dish and my sister absolutely loved her asian salad. There was a birthday party of some type going on in one part of the restaurant and the atmosphere was festive, although the music was soft enough to set th mood, but allow for good conversation. Highly recommended for an evening drink or dinner.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Lunch with two other couples. Off the beaten path but still easy to find. Got seated before the crowd came or seating six may have been more difficult. Attentive, courteous service. Ordered burgers (beef and shrimp) and deserts. Burgers were 1/2 pound, fresh meat, flavorful, cooked as ordered. Shrimp burger with avocado had plenty of shrimp but was bland to my taste. Double fried potatoes are an example of attention to detail for food. Chocolate cake desert served with syrup and a dollop of ice cream. The place was full when we finished our meal. I intend to come back and be more specific in talking with the waiter about the tastes I'm looking for since they obviously are more than just "order takers".

Reviewed October 19, 2012

We really enjoyed the atmosphere of this restaurant and the service was wonderful but our dinner was just so-so. We ordered the popular chicken dish and I couldn't even eat the potatoes because they were so undercooked and tasted funky. I wish we would have ordered something else, everybody else in the restaurant seemed very happy. The goat cheese appetizer was quite good as was the wine our server suggested. I would definitely go there again and will suggest people to go but just don't order the chicken.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

New to Houston and visited for the weekend of 9/28/2012 - Went to Benjy's on Saturday morning. We were not sure what to expect and we were very pleasantly surprised! Although we did not have a reservation, we were seated immediately on the upper level overlooking the main dining section. The decor was beautiful and comfortable, very cozy upstairs. Our server was excellent and we followed nearly all of his recommendations - crunchy french toast, egg white omelets, and chicken and waffles - plus this very tasty mint-ade beverage. Service was impeccable, coffee was kept filled and hot, then to top it all off...since it was our 1st visit, our server brought us a delicious dessert of their owner's family recipe chocolate cake!
We hope we didnt offend by not finishing it completely, it was only that it was unexpected and we were already stuffed! But we all did have tastes and the frosting was decadent and wonderful...wish we would have known and we would have tried to save room!
A great experience and if we return to Houston this will go to Benjy's again.