“Great Sunday Brunch”

Baba Yega Cafe
Ranked #194 of 8,287 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Contemporary, International
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Large groups
Description: A Montrose tradition since 1975, Baba Yega is a unique cafe in Houston offering a great dining experience in a comfortable and relaxed atmosphere.
Houston, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Sunday Brunch”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Delicious food. Great variety- fruit, omelet bar, dessert bar, waffles,quiche, salmon and lots more. Cheap mimosas. Restaurant is two converted houses -beautiful inside beautiful fountain, beautiful flowers. Really nice outside eating patio. Love this place! Brunch is $22. So much to choose from!

• Visited April 2013

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Best brunch in town”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Every time I am in Houston I go for their Sunday Brunch, it is the best ever! Atmosphere is always nice, selection of food is great and everyhting always taste delicious! It also in a very nice area of Houston. Have your reservation made to avoid long lines. Go to walk on Memorial Park and then go to Baba Yega. Perfect Sunday match.

• Visited November 2012
Houston, TX
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sunday brunch”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I love the atmosphere at Baba Yega. They have a great Sunday brunch buffet but the lines get long so you may want to get there early, order off the menu, or be patient.

The buffet food is pretty good, the omelets are very good (long wait), but it is a buffet so obviously not cooked to order. The drinks are very good and the service is excellent. The prices are reasonable. The atmosphere is very nice with several different indoor seating areas and a few different outdoor patio areas that are very nice (if it's not 100 degrees and 90% humidity).

I would recommend going to Sunday brunch to experience it, but definitely go another time when it's not so crowded.

Visited March 2013
Durham, North Carolina
“Great Every Night Place”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Baba Yega is known for its all-you-can-eat Sunday brunch (which I have been to). While that was good, it is also overpriced if you're someone that doesn't like to stuff yourself just to feel like you're getting a good deal (the brunch is $30). I just can't eat that much!

However, I went here on Saturday night with some friends. We tried another restaurant that had an hour wait (I blame the rodeo), and settled on Baba Yega because they had no wait. We had also been wanting to come for dinner because of their impressive vegetarian selections.

The atmosphere is casual and relaxed. I especially enjoyed the 70's jams that were hitting my ears while I looked out on a view of their lovely back gardens and fountains. Everyone in my group had something different and all were pleased with their food. I had a pasta dish with kalamata olives and portobella mushrooms and it was enough for two meals. The boys all finished their food, but I did help them with their fries, to be fair. I thought their fries--both regular and sweet potato variety--were top-notch.

The service was friendly and fast. A good way for me to gauge is whether or not they can keep Mack's water glass full. When I hear him apologizing for how much water he drinks, I know they're actually coming to refill it. Otherwise, he eventually moves to my water glass. I never once had to share my water that evening. I recommend Baba Yega to Houstonites or anyone wanting a relaxed Houston dining experience.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Josie S
Bristow, Virginia
“Crowded and parking stinks!”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Meeting friends who were staying in the Galleria area of Houston (we were up north in Spring) so picked the Montrose area for middle ground. Planned to meet at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday thinking we would be ahead of the crows. Boy were we wrong! Friends got there at 10:50 and put our name on the list. Waited almost 40 minutes for a table for 6. Seems Baba Yega's has a very popular Sunday brunch and very reasonable cocktails (Mimosa's and Bellini's were $2 each and a pitcher was $10). The drinks were great! Our service was quick and attentive. We decided to order off the menu since none of us wanted the quantity of the buffet nor the $22 per person price. Started off with artichoke dip which which was bland (needed salt or something). The chips were thin and fresh. Noone really loved their food. I got a chicken caesar salad which needed more dressing. Chicken was good. Husband got a sliced steak and cheese sandwich which was greasy. Friends got hamburgers and they were ok. The inside of the restaurant is very cool (old building). They sat us upstairs in the "group area" so it was very loud and we had to shout at each other to talk. Not a very pleasant relaxing brunch with friends. Parking -- it sucks! They do have valet but we had luggage in the car so we didn't want to use valet. There is street parking but with several other restaurants in the area that is tough going. Finally found a street spot about 2 blocks away. I had fonder memories of this place but when I am visiting Houston again probably would pass it by due to the average food, noise level and parking issues.

• Visited March 2013