“Bland food”

Austin, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bland food”
Reviewed October 8, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The food is a bit bland. We've been there a few times with a group, and it's been a consistent theme.

Visited August 2013

Houston, TX
“OK”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Colin and I stopped in to pick up some spring rolls and I was sort of underwhelmed. The service was super quick and the restaurant had a good lunch crowd, but the spring rolls was just meh. Good size, not over filled, may have been let down by the one-note dipping sauce that screamed PEANUT. Adding some other flavors and some textures would make the sauce a bit more subtle and enjoyable. We may stop back when we're in the area, but there are a lot of other choices out there.

• Visited August 2013
Houston
“Not my fave”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

The food is decent, and the service decent. however, we had to go through a couple of dishes to get the ones that we were moderately satisfied with. The spring rolls were good and food presentation was interesting.

• Visited April 2013
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
“Tofu in Clay Pot: fantastic even for a tofu sceptic”
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Van Loc serves one of my top five all-time favorite dishes: tofu in clay pot. Think fried tofu, mushrooms, celery in a bubbling sauce. Can't imagine it? That's okay. Just try it. You don't have to be a tofu fan either - my father-in-law loved it!. The sauce is plate-licking good. If someone else is with you, you can't go wrong with the lemongrass chicken. They serve a full menu of Vietnamese specialties but I always go back to the tofu. Service and ambience aren't anything special, but at around $10 for a generous serving, you can't go wrong.

• Visited April 2013
Houston, TX USA
“Yummy Yum Yum”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I used to work in midtown and had lunch at Van Loc frequently until my co-worker and I started dining there every day for 3 month straight. Our faves were the Pho Ga and Pho Tai. Their vermicelli is excellent too but the one thing that is the absolute best is the Cha Gio (fried spring rolls)! OMG you cannot find better anywhere! HIGHLY recommend this place for the best Vietnamese food!

• Visited October 2012