“VOID of Service with a capital V!”
Review of Van Loc Restaurant - CLOSED

Cuisines: Chinese, Vietnamese
Good for: Large groups
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed November 2, 2012

When you go out to eat you want to relax and enjoy the food, and just as important, some good service. MARGARITO'S restaurant outside of Rochester, MN. in Byron is one of those places that is just NOT going to offer that! The owner is crude and is more interested in watching soap operas on the TV blaring, than attending to his customers (he was the only waiter!). The food came out greasy and unsatisfying, cooked by his wife, a non-hispanic woman and the only cook there, who was equally rude when we mentioned it was cold. DONOT go if you can avoid it. There are far too many good places, with good food and good service. Don't waste your hard earned money on this dive on the highway, just keep driving!!!!!

deb Rochester, MN

There are newer reviews for Van Loc Restaurant

Reviewed October 25, 2012

I went to the restaurant with two other friends. We sat down starving. Waited for 20 minutes for the server, which felt like 40. All three of us had our hand up at one point to get attention. Who does that?! One male server was working and three other women stood at the counter people watching. At one point, one was adjusting her makeup.

When the check came I gave the restaurant NO tip (they tip pool). I marked it and signed it. The female worker comes up to me and says, "Sir, will you total it out?". I knew what she was really asking. Our conversation as follows:

Me: "Your service was REALLY s*****"
Her: "Oh Really?"
Me: Yes I am not tipping.
Her: We still have to tip the bussers and bartenders
Me: "I know, I was a server in college"
Her: "OK, next time we will charge you"

Tipping is NOT guaranteed. Waiters have become complacent expecting tips if they provide mediocre or bad service. Take care of me, and I will definitely take care of you. It is not a one way.

The woman who confronted me was worse than the server.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

plenty of large round tables for family to gather-- food is great! Lots of vegetarian menu items. Service friendly.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

Meet a friend there and enjoy a good meal in a nice space. If you like Vietnamese food, this is a good place for basic lunch or dinner, one of the best of this type of place in Houston. I have eaten there several times, and everything I have had there has been good. They are just serving good, well-prepared food, not attempting fine dining or anything else ambitious, and the prices reflect that.

When I have been there, about half of the customers have been Asian, indicating reasonable authenticity, and about half of European ancestry, indicating that the menu includes plenty that will appeal to non-Vietnamese people as well.

Reviewed April 1, 2012

I always eat at Kim Son when in Houston and want great Vietnamese food but I thought on my last trip to try something new. I had heard how good Van Loc was so my wife and I went for dinner. The service was the worst I have been exposed to in the past 10 years and maybe longer. When they got around to taking our order we had sat there for more than 20 minutes. Another 20 minutes and still no food or glass of water. After 30 minutes out come our Spring Rolls. What a disappointment. I have not had limp Spring Rolls since my last bad Chinese buffet. We sat and sat waiting for our food and then we decided, pay for the Spring Rolls and leave. We canceled the meal and they really could care less. Not so much of an apology for the bad service or please stay and let us make this right or we hope you will return and give another opportunity! Bad service combined with a bad attitude. Don’t waste you time.

1  Thank L0calO