“High $$$$ and the food is not worth it. Fogo De Chao is better value!!!”
Review of The Capital Grille

The Capital Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 8,552 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Yorktown
Description: You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service. One of only a few restaurants in Houston to receive the DiRona (Distinguished Restaurants of North America) Award.
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

The waiter sent us a thankyou card in the mail!! Impressive. Our bill was $245 for 2 people and no alcohol!!! For the food you get, it's way overpriced!! Fogo De Chao blows them away with fresh and all you can eat from a large variety of food!!! No comparison. We won't be returning. See for yourself.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

The food was OK, but definitely not good. For the price, the food should have been exceptional. It was nowhere close to that. I ordered the Lobster Bisque. It came already prepared, which was odd as higher end restaurants will usually mix this at the table. There was one small piece of lobster that tasted rubbery, and the Bisque was very watered down. It was as if they had taken a real Bisque and mixed it with equal parts water. My Fiance ordered the smoked salmon appetizer, which we both agreed was "meh" at best. A far better smoked salmon appetizer is available at J. Alexander, and a far better Lobster BIsque is available at any restaurant that serves Lobster Bisque.

The waiter recommended their steaks, so I tried the Porterhouse. It was cooked correctly at medium rare, but the steak itself was tough and flavorless. I have bought better quality steaks at Wal-Mart. It was just not good.

We had the Au Gratin Potatoes and Asparagus for our sides. The Asparagus was overcooked, and the potatoes were undercooked.

The service was even worse than the food, if that is possible. The waiter addressed me by name when he came to the table. This would have been a nice touch if he had actually used my real name, which he did not. He called me someone else's name instead. Our waiter also seemed to struggle with English. I am Hispanic and he repeatedly tried to talk to me in Spaish. Unfortunately, I don't speak Spanish very well at all, which I told him. He didn't seem to understand me, hoowever, and kept trying to address me in Spanish. Both of these things were very odd.

When we finished our meals, the waiter cleared our plates and we were anxiously awaiting dessert. Unfortunately, I will never know if they actually serve dessert at this restaurant, however, because 20 minutes after he had cleared our plates, there was still no sign of our waiter. I had to go to the front desk to get our bill, and we got dessert elsewhere.

While I was waiting at the front desk to pay, a gentleman in a suit who I assumed to be the manager approached me. He asked me if everything was good. I told him that it was not, and he responded by walking away from me as quickly as he could. Apparently, he was only interested in hearing from happy customers.

In summary, you can get better quality food at Texas Roadhouse or similar, and better quality service at your nearest McDonalds. If you want to pay $200+ for that experience, then eat here. However, if you want a decent meal and good service, then you have plenty of other good options to choose from in Houston.

1  Thank Paul V
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We made reservations for our 30th anniversary at the Capital Grill and enjoyed our evening and the meal. Our table was decorated with small heart shaped confetti and one long stemmed rose. Our anniversary card was signed by the staff. The Beefeater , extra dry martini set the mood with a perfect rendition that few get right. Appetizers of lobster bisque and smoked salmon were next. The smoked salmon was perfect, served with the condiments and toast points. It was really enough for two people. The lobster bisque was good but I've had better. My Alaskan Halibut was served on a plank with shrimp on top. It was cooked well but lacked the rich flavor I expected. The filet mignon was cooked perfectly and it was delicious. Dessert was served with sparkling wine (complimentary). The espresso chocolate flourless cake melted in your mouth. It was the best I've ever had. Our waiter Terry was attentive and helpful and made our evening special by taking our picture, printing it out, and presenting it to us in a nice paper frame. Nice touch, Capital Grill! We spent money on this meal so many might think the rose, confetti, free dessert, sparkling wine, and picture are just gimmicks. Well, we enjoyed the gimmicks, the atmosphere and the food.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Loved the food, buzz in the restaurant and service was impeccable. The crab cakes are the best in the city.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

The service was good, as was the food. Given the price I would expect exceptional. Exceptional it was not.