“Phenomenal shrimp and grit”
Review of Backstreet Cafe

Backstreet Cafe
Ranked #45 of 8,288 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Neighborhood: Neartown/ Montrose
Houston, Texas
“Phenomenal shrimp and grit”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Truly phenomenal shrimp and grits!

The moment I stepped out of my car, I was greeted by the friendly valet driver. From that point, I encountered nothing but excellent service at Backstreet Cafe. I went as a group, so we shared the appetizers, one of which were lump crab cakes which were amazing.

However, the best thing about this place for me was the shrimp and grits entree. Cooked with cheese, the grits itself was hot and delicious, while the Texas gulf shrimps add a very nice complement in conjunction. Unless you had it already or have a strong preference for something else, you should definitely give this dish a shot!

Overall, the cafe was a bit pricey and it was worth it! Great atmosphere, service, and food, with really nothing to complain about. Backstreet Cafe is an excellent place to dine especially for brunch!

Houston, Texas
“Better than Average, but not Fabulous...”
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Tried Backstreet Cafe for my Hubby's birthday dinner. Service was very good, drinks well- done. The Gulf Coast Beignets (seafood) were awesome (if the rest of the meal had been as good as the beignets it would have been off the charts good!). Main courses were rather bland and overcooked. The friends that we went with had been before, & I almost felt like they weren't crazy about going back. But, Birthday Boy got to decide, & he chose to come here. It's a very cute & quaint place (we were seated in the solarium), noise was not an issue for us. But the food just didn't "sing" or make us roll our eyes... We will probably give them another try, but it's not on the Top of our To Do List... A little disappointing, but potential to be really good.

Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Extraordinary food”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

My family and I were just passing through Houston and my daughter Googled "best restaurants". Backstreet Cafe came up so we tried it. I am a professional cook and baker and use the best ingredients I can find when preparing food for others, so it takes a lot to impress me. After eating one of the most delicious meals I have ever had, I wish the cafe were in my own town. If I'm ever in Houston again, I will most certainly go back to the restaurant!

Dallas, Texas
“Excellent from start to finish!”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

I have only eaten here once so far, but I'll be back. Every course made me want to kiss the person who prepared it. The gazpacho was refreshing, satisfying and full of fresh flavor. The veal chop was grilled perfectly. The butterscotch bread pudding was out of this world. I love to cook and was in awe of the skill that went into this dessert. The service was excellent, and there is even a lovely outdoor patio (a big deal in a Houston). (When it is very warm be aware that sitting near a door that opens to the outdoors will affect the heat-sensitive.) I am so glad I ate here!

WashingtonDC
“tasty brunch option with inventive options”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

A friend and I went to Backstreet Café for brunch one Saturday while I was visiting Houston, and overall, I felt that it was a tasty and somewhat inventive meal.

I was informed about this restaurant originally because it is the number one place on Yelp! for brunch in Houston, so of course I had to try it. For whatever reason, we were able to get a table outside with no reservations, but I hear that there's normally a line around the door for brunch.

We sat outside, and it was shaded but not a lot of air circulation. By the time you're done with brunch, I think you're ready to go back inside.

The menu was pretty impressive for a brunch menu. I'm not too keen on restaurants with just completely standard, uninspired breakfast options, and Backstreet Café is not one of those places. We started with the chicken satay, which I would describe as average. I love peanut sauce, and this peanut sauce just wasn't all that interesting. My entrée of pork belly and tomatillo sauce was much more successful. It was a good portion of pork belly, and had more pork in the eggs underneath. This was the standout dish to me. The migas was only OK, but there's only so much you can go with migas

Service was adequate, but nothing special. They seemed to have enough servers for the Sunday brunch service.

Overall, I had a very good meal at Backstreet Café.

• Visited May 2014