“Absolutely Amazing”

Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Neighborhood: Neartown/ Montrose
Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

I've eaten at Backstreet Cafe at least 20 times, and each time my taste buds are in heaven. I am hooked on the pear salad; so yummy with the bakes pear, nuts, cheese, and lettuce mix. I've had three different meals that I switch between:
1. Shrimp with quinoa and veggies
2. Chicken Enchiladas, corn pudding, and green beans
3.Pecan Crusted Chicken red pepper reduction sauce, mashed potatoes & spinach
Everything on their menu is an amazing delight and this is a dress up restaurant. The selection of wine is vast and adds to the ambiencece of this treasure. It is in a lovely restored building with a fireplace on the second floor and looks out to many mature trees. Everything about Backstreet is top-notch!

Reviewed January 10, 2014

We chose this restaurant for dinner with our son and daughter in law because it has, at first glance, a fairly extensive vegetarian menu. Its in a neighborhood and has a lovely feel reminding us of a typical Californian restaurant with its wooden structure and cosy atmosphere.

It was too cold to sit on the patio but should it be warmer that would be the place to request seating. Very pleasant looking and nicely spaced tables.

The vegetarian menu was extensive, but on closer examination was quite pasta based for many of the dishes, which was fine for us but may be an issue for some. We ordered a couple of appetizers to share and these were very ample for four to split. On the advice of our waiter we each ordered an entrée and with hindsight could also have split these as the portions were large.

The only slight criticism is that it is quite expensive and really a bit overpriced for the total package. However I'd certainly recommend it and will certainly be back when next in the Houston area.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

With little family nearby, we have developed a new tradition of dinner out on Christmas Eve followed by a late-night church service, preferably one with a pre-service choral concert. This year we made reservations at Backstreet Cafe, one of our favorites in the Houston area. The food and service are consistently good, although our waiter this evening seemed a bit stretched. (He was young, but with the training he is receiving at Backstreet, he should become a fine waiter.) We also missed Sean Beck, Backstreet's wonderful sommelier, who was busy with the owners' new restaurant. Ah, the challenges of expansion! Still, a nice evening in the heated tent on the patio, a tasty dinner, and a spot of eggnog put us in the mood for Christmas. And 7:45 reservations put us on the road in perfect time for a 10:00 p.m. church service.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I went to Backstreet cafe with my family last week and we enjoyed a selection of various entrees. We did not have a reservation and were told that the size of our party (7) could not be accomodated. We started looking for a new restaurant and the manager made a suggestion and even offered to call them, so he was quite courteous despite the situation. Just when we were about to leave, they worked something out for us to stay.

I'm glad we did, because it was a very nice meal. But the price for what you get is, in my opinion, quite high. The flat iron steak I had was overcooked and not the best quality of meat. But my other family members seemed to really enjoy their entrees. It's worth going for the atmosphere alone.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

The restaurant is in a pretty house and spills into a large and charming courtyard with a huge camphor tree decorated with lights so attractive and a pleasant place to be.
The menu is so varied, with many really interesting vegetarian choices which pleased me - when I am a bit jet lagged I tend not to eat meat so was delighted to see such a good choice.
We went twice [out of 4 nights] and each time ate well.
The service was friendly but not overly so and very prompt and efficient.