“Tasted just like being in Germany”

Charivari Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Charivari Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #250 of 8,396 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: European, French, Hungarian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Mc Gowen
Description: Transylvanian-born Chef Johann Schuster is a master of European Cooking. He features New European Contemporaty & Four Season Cuisine. Great Lunch & Business Dinner Enjoy !
Reviewed August 9, 2014

I ordered the perfect dish for me as it tasted like I was back in Germany. The ambiance was quiet and we were the only ones in there for a while, but were eating a relatively early dinner for a Saturday. Service was very professional and polite. The peach cobbler wasn't what I was expecting but was good once I got over my expectations. Very easy access and parking. Will definitely go again when I'm craving my dish again or to try something new. Loved the use of mushrooms in so many dishes.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

The food was average the service poor and was a total let down. We had been here a couple of years ago with a Groupon and were disappointed then...we decided to try again just thinking that the whole "Groupon" thing might have tainted the delivery of the food...nope.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

We've been going to Charivari now for the past 5 years, sometimes lunch, sometimes dinner, and every time.....perfect. If you want a place you can go to get freshly cooked food and be treated like a regular, then this is where you want to go. From traditional Bavarian prepared fresh and surprisingly light, to some of the best seafood, to custom offerings, Charivari does it all very well. We were there last night and were never rushed to turn the table, and spent 3 hours just enjoying the various parts of the meal and visiting with Maria and Chef Shuster. Just don't find that anywhere these days. My favorite place in Houston.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

I went to this restaurant using a Travelzoo voucher. The reviews were wonderful so I thought I would give it a try. I arrived and found that if you are using a Travelzoo voucher, you are limited to a "special menu" with only a few selections. The service was incredibly slow and the restaurant was terribly warm. While they may have intended for the meal to be a dining experience, I waited for almost an hour before the entree arrived. While I was served an appetizer and a salad in the first hour, the wait staff disappeared for long periods of time. The entree was nothing special and the dessert (from the limited selection) was marginal. They did not hesitate to add a 20% tip based on the full meal value in spite of the poor service. With all of the great reviews for this restaurant, I hope that my experience is not the norm. I have no plans to return.

2  Thank SeriousBiz
Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I went here after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor. I was looking for a quiet romantic restaurant and this is what we got - in fact we were the only ones there! This was actually a concern at first but after the amazing service and the very authentic European food, I am completely amazed this place was not packed. I highly recommend the Dracula garlic soup and weiner schnitzel, both were excellent. Also the chef/owner came out to personally ask us how the food was, that was a great touch. We will go again when we return to Houston!