“Old world great food and charm”

Charivari Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Charivari Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #170 of 8,144 Restaurants in Houston
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Mc Gowen
Description: Transylvanian-born Chef Johann Schuster is a master of European Cooking. He features New European Contemporaty & Four Season Cuisine. Great Lunch & Business Dinner Enjoy !
Houston, Texas
“Old world great food and charm”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2012

I have always admired Charivari, and this time I went back specifically in search of spätzle. One of the owners, Maria, took the time to work with us on which main courses would work well with the spätzle, and we ended up with Veal Zürich and pork with figs, both of which were superb. Both Maria and Johann wander the dining room, asking how you like your food, etc. It is rare - sadly so - to get such personal service in a restaurant. The service was excellent as well.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank TRHinHouston

Baltimore, MD
“European dining with panache”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2012

Our group of four dined at Charivari during the first week of February and were pleasantly surprised. We have traveled and eaten in many fine and excellent restaurants in Europe, Canada, Iceland, Mexico, Puerto Rico, India, Dominican Republic, China, New Zealand and all points in-between. We greatly enjoy getting to know the personality of a restaurant. Charivari is a wonderful oasis in Houston of "dining as it is meant to be". On the inside, the restaurant reminds one of Austria's better establishments with white linen, well-set tables and subdued lighting. There is no pretentious table-watching or people-spotting and the food ranks with some of the best. The service was never rushed. We enjoyed six courses and each was served at the correct temperature and presentation was thoughtful. Only a chicken course was a bit saltier than two of us prefer -- but it was not overwhelming. Two others did not find it salty, so it is a matter of taste. Wines were overall nice choices from good vineyards that are lesser known but respected in the trade. One course was a risotto that melted in the mouth -- and one person at our table wanted to order only that! The mushroom soup was among the best we have eaten. We all agreed that the desserts were outstanding and recommend saving room. Of special note -- the restaurant is wonderfully QUIET. Conversation is possible without straining. The waiters are attentive and also quiet in their service. The owner/chef came to the table, and we noted he is attentive to all the tables. We hope to return and try other dishes.

• Visited February 2012
Houston, Texas
“A piece of Europe in Houston. Best restaurant we've been in a long long time.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2012

I went there with my husband the night before christmas.
We were craving for german food and lately Rudy Lechner hasn't been a good choice.
I searched in internet and there it was this supposedly german restaurant. We drove all the way to downtown to eat authentic german food as it's listed under german cuisine with a rumanian and german owners.
First surprise, it was much more upscale than we expected it to be, with a pianist playing nicely, an elegant ambiance and a typical european restaurant decoration.
Next surprise, the menu. We were expecting a german menu, and instead, there was only one or two german plates including the schnitzel.
Short menu, well described with french, german, spanish, italian plates.... definetely a piece of europe, not only germany.
Bread was awesome.
They brought us a small piece of something between an onion soufflee and onion strudel, delicious. Very tasty and delicate.
My husband order a house salad and he loved it, the vinaigrette was excellent.
I order a mushroon capuccino cream soup that was heaven!! so light that was like air and so yummi I can certanly could have not a cappuccino cup but a whole bowl of that soup.
After the appetizers, came a small scoop of strawberry sorbet with mint garnish, very fresh, delightful and homemade!!!!
Then, our entrees, my husband had the schnitzel and I had some beef in a mushrrom sauce with rosti (yes, I just love murshrooms).
The schnitzel was perfect, so tender you could cut it only just staring at it, and my beef was again, heaven part two!! absolutely delitcious, great portions and wonderful flavors.
Mashed potatoes were made like classic european recipee, tasted like potatoes.
Normally I don't eat large amounts of food, but believe me, I ate everything that was on my plate!! And I almost never have dessert. I really don't care for dessert, but this time my husband saw passing by the waiters with the cakes and pies, and he asked them to bring the desserts only to take a look.... and they were all beautiful! We ended with a piece of raspberry ginger pie. My hubby took a bite and I ate the rest of it!!! I could'nt resist!! Was the best dessert I've had here in Houston. I don't like creamy cheesy too sugary and sweet desserts, and this was everything except that, was heaven part 3.
Chef and owner came out to salute and ask how was everything, his wife very attentive and sweet is the one who can guide you through this culinary experience, you won't be dissapponted at all.
We will be back and bring some friends. Best restaurant we've been in at least one year.
A big and wonderful surprise.

• Visited December 2011
Coldspring, Texas
“Not as nice as expected.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2011

We went to this restaurant because of a Travel Zoo voucher. After reading the reviews about it I expected better than what we had. The Service was definitely not up to the price of the food. Really that is my only problem with the place. I felt like I was at a 1 or 2 star place.
The food however was presented well, innovative and delicious. Using the voucher we were serve a set menu and decided to pick additional appetizers. I did look at the menu and would like to try some other items. I will go back and give them another try they could have just had a bad night.

• Visited December 2011
Houston, texas, USA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,920 helpful votes
“Salt”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2011

My dish was simply to salty to be enjoyable. Service was friendly but to much salt spoiled the meal.

• Visited August 2011