“Love this place!”

Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: Neartown/ Montrose
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Great atmosphere, staff, and location. Food options are great and the strawberry cake is amazing. This is the place to be whether you want to people watch, catch up with friends, relax and read a book, etc. Highly recommended!

Reviewed June 5, 2014

The coffee and home made pancakes are amazing. You can order whole wheat pancakes with fruit. Mexican breakfast is great. Nice place to visit for breakfast.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

This has been my all-time favorite restaurant in Houston for about the last 10 years. There is ample (free) parking and a semi-private patio where you can relax and simultaneously contemplate the hustle and bustle of lower Westheimer.

Empire's food is consistently good and is well priced, with new pasta, salad, sandwiches and soup specials daily. Prices have gone up about $1-2 over the years, but that's to be expected. My favorite items are the corsica and napoli pastas and they come with your choice of soup or salad. I've never met an EC soup I didn't gobble up. For the salad, my favorite dressing is the rosemary vinegarette, though I'm not sure I've ever tried any of the others they offer. The entrees are all very good, and very large portions! You really can't go wrong with any of them. Pizzas are light yet shareable.

Empire has a good beer & wine selection and surprisingly low prices on bottles of wine. All the cakes are moist and delicious (hummingbird and carrot are the winners, IMO), with huge slices big enough to share between 2-3 people. If the $6ish slice has you down, they offer 1/2 priced cake on Mondays!

If you aren't feeling particularly hungry, Empire is still a great place to people watch. For just a few bucks I've spent many an afternoon sipping a cafe au lait while nibbling a couple of shortbread cookies (if you ask nicely, the cashiers will usually give you a few extras), and reading or listening to music.

And last but not least, Empire is pet friendly so you can enjoy a great meal with your pooch on the patio! What more could you ask for?

Reviewed April 6, 2014

I try to catch breakfast here every time I come to town. They have a lot of really delicious options. For a change I tried the gingerbread waffle and loved it! Sometimes there is a long line but it is well worth the wait. They have a very nice patio. Perfect place to chill with your friends or just sit & read the paper with your coffee, tea or mimosa

Reviewed March 17, 2014

I got the whole wheat pancakes with bananas on top. It was super yummy. I liked that they had the whole wheat option. I also got the herb roasted potatoes. They were pretty good too. Once I added some salt, I was pretty pleased with them. If I lived in the Houston area I would totally go back again. Unfortunately, I live in Dallas so I don't know when the next time I will be there.