“Best spinach salad in the world!”

Paulie's Restaurant
Ranked #446 of 8,183 Restaurants in Houston
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Neartown/ Montrose
Cape Town, South Africa
“Best spinach salad in the world!”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I eat here all the time, the most amazing spinach salad I have had anywhere in the world! I amways get a piece of grilled salmon on top to finish it off! YUM!

• Visited July 2012

Houston, Texas
“Decent lunch place but a little casual for dinner.”
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Bf and I have been in search for a good Italian place in Houston for a long time. Tried out Paulies and it was pretty good. I loved the gazpacho! Delicious!!! My chicken parm was standard fare but the bf left hungry. Had to go find a snack later.

Austin, Texas, United States
“Our favorite place to have lunch or dinner”
Reviewed January 23, 2012

Found this place by accident and make it a point to visit every time we are near Houston. Cucumber water, fantastic dishes, and eclectic atmosphere are enchanting. Love it for dinner or lunch. Sadly, they are closed Sundays. 1834 Westheimer road Houston TX 77098

Visited January 2012
San Antonio, Texas
“Fantastic food at a great price.”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I've been back to Paulie's twice now, when staying in Houston. The menu is quite extensive and has something for everyone. The food is outstanding and is very reasonable. There are many great little touches, like the cucumber chilled water that is complimentary and the ginger peach tea is superb. I had the chicken scallopine and the lemon sauce was perfection. They also have a great little bakery section with good desserts. You order at the counter and then take a seat. It's no frills with amazing food that won't empty your wallet. I love this place.

Visited October 2011
Houston, Texas
“What a disappointment!”
Reviewed August 7, 2011

have been to Paulie's once before, years ago, and thought it charming with pretty good food. Last night, however, was a disaster. My husband ordered their Pork Loin Chop on a bed of mixed greens with Parmesan potatoes. I ordered Penne & Shrimp Genovese. We waited 25 minutes for our dinners while watching many who came after us get and finish their dinners. Finally, the dinners arrived. The pasta was good, but too hot to eat...the few shrimp in the dish were fresh and not overly cooked. My husband got a beautiful, big pork chop that was cooked so much that it looked and tasted like cardboard. We have never returned a meal in a restaurant, but after he tried two bites from two different areas of the chop, he returned to the counter and asked for another. The cook was defensive and reluctant to take it back. He asked how my husband wanted the second chop cooked. When my husband said "medium", he was informed that the first one was medium. So, he said, make it "medium rare". As we waited another long, slow 25 minutes, we could here two men laughing and cutting up in the kitchen about "medium" and "medium rare". Finally the second chop arrived (now we've been waiting for more than 1 1/2 hours and my too hot dish is cold and we have been sharing it). This chop was not nearly as pretty a cut of meat, much thinner, and amazingly, cooked just as dry as the first one! This one was so hard around the outer edges, it was inedible. So, since we had already eaten my meal and had intended to share the chop, we ate about 1/4 of the least cooked areas. No one ever bothered to come out and ask how the second chop was cooked. Finally I flagged down a table busser (literally had to speak up quit loudly to get him to even look at us) and asked for a manager. No manager he says...call back Monday. Soon a young man came from the back. I asked who he was, he said "the closest thing to a manager". We explained the problem and in all fairness, even though we said we didn't want anything other than someone to fix the problem in the kitchen, he did present us with a $40 gift certificate. The dilemma is whether we want to go back to use the certificate since this experience was so bad. Oh, and the "closest thing to a manager" said they used to have the same problem with beef but started using a thermometer. My husband asked if they had take the temp of the pork and was told, yes, they pull pork off at 145. Pulling it at 145 means that the temp will be 165 or higher once it finishes resting...that is not medium or medium rare...why ask how he wanted the second one cooked if the cook can't pull if off at a lower temp? Oh, and the Parmesan potatoes on the side were al dente boiled red potatoes with a very heavy cream sauce that didn't taste of Parmesan. They stayed uneaten also. Too bad, it is a charming looking restaurant if there was only someone there to control the cook.

• Visited August 2011