“Best airport food in the business...”

Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen
Ranked #17 of 8,311 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Anyone who spends a lot of time in the air knows the airport branches of famous local restaurants are never quite as good as "the real thing." But there is usually an exception that proves the rule. If you're going through Houston-Hobby, as I have done more than a few times since 2009, this particular branch of the Pappas restaurant family tree is it.

Folks who have been to Houston know the Pappas family is into everything from Greek and Italian food to barbecue, but they do seafood REALLY well. Compressing one of their excellent seafood houses into an airport-sized miniature space without compromising on the decor, the service, or the good? Bloody near impossible. But somehow every time I've been in there, they've managed.

Now I am usually alone, so I pounce on a barstool, and usually order off the appetizer menu. This place has appetizers you can generally make a light lunch out of anyway. I love the alligator, but you really can't go wrong with the cheesy, just-greasy-enough, seafood-loaded concoction known as the "shrimp and crawfish fondeaux" over French bread.

In, good food, out. Why would you go for stereotypical food court chow when you can have this?

There are newer reviews for Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen

Reviewed November 30, 2013

i highly recommend the lobster and shrimpsalad, they always have impeccable service and the food always supr fresh

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Good appetizers and beer conveniently located one floor directly above our gate. Who could ask for anything more!

Reviewed November 19, 2013

I transit IAH frequently and ate here a couple months ago when I ran into family members in the terminal. Food was good and service was excellent.

I was recently transiting IAH with a friend and suggested we have an early dinner here. We were promptly seated and when our server came over she took our drink order. It took her quite some time to come back with our waters. I was debating between two dishes and asked her some questions about the two items. She kept looking at another table and didn't give me a very good description of the dishes in questions. It was all I could do to get her attention while she was standing at our table. She finally took our order. I ordered the pan seared tilapia which was served with a risotto cake and vegetable medley (menu stated green beans). The risotto and vegetables were cold. The only vegetables that were warm were the ones under the piece of fish. My friend had the chicken breast which came with a baked potato and vegetable medley (this was different than what was on the menu). Her food was hot. When our server stopped back to see how things were I told her my risotto and vegetables were not hot. She said she would notify the manager. A manager did stop by and apologized. She said the kitchen probably plated the sides while waiting for the fish to be cooked. She offered to get fresh sides, but I told her I didn't have time to wait. She said she would take money off of the bill. We had requested separate checks, and $5 was deducted from each bill.

As much as I love seafood I will eat elsewhere when I am transiting IAH.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

We had a wonderful meal at this place. When we first arrived, I was concerned because the front was really loud, but the hostess took us to the back and we had a wonderful quiet meal with great wine. The food was prepared well. The shrimp, mushroom, crayfish fondue was excellent. My husband had the flounder special which was cooked to perfection. I had gulf shrimp that were amazing. Our service was exceptional and staff were stopping by continuously to make sure are needs were met. The desserts looked incredible, but we were too full to partake. Too bad they are not located in the pacific northwest.

1  Thank pcmcbride1