“Best Tiramisu in TOWN!!”
Review of Fornos of Italy

Cuisines: Italian
Description: Owner and chef Armando Florido
Description: Owner and chef Armando Florido
Houston, Texas
“Best Tiramisu in TOWN!!”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Forno's is a great Italian restaurant now serving delicious grilled burgers! However, TIRAMISU is a must!!! I dine or lunch at Fornos at least once a month.

• Visited October 2013

Calgary, Canada
“Good everything”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We were on our way to the airport and were looking for a nice place for lunch and really just stumbled on this place. I'm glad that we did.

I never order spaghetti in a restaurant, but today that's what I felt like having. I made a good choice. The portion was huge and they'd used the finer spaghettini, which was a nice surprise. The meat sauce was delicious and very plentiful.

Our waiter was engaging and friendly. I don't think our water glasses ever got half empty before he was there to refill them.

I highly recommend that you track down this place and give it a try.

• Visited August 2013
Woodville, Texas
“FORNOS (290) the best in Houston bar none!!”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

When the Fornos on 290 opened years ago, I was fortunate to discover this GEM! Recipes by Armondo are to die for! Fish is ALWAYS fresh! My favorites are the pasta al Forno, the musroom caps and the HOUSE DRESSING! My friends usually get the specialies (such as the seafood). They redecorated a couple of years ago and the atmosphere and service are now amost up to par with the cuisine! It has a ROMANTIC atmosphere! My husband and I enjoyed it as our "special" place for years.
Now I have retired to East Texas, but drive in a few times a year, just to enjoy Fornos. I also drop by on other occasions that bring me to Houston. CREATE A MEMORY! Take those you care for to enjoy a treat!!!! I am a military brat and have enjoyed experiencing fantastic cuisine from NY City, to San Francisco, and all points in between. ENJOY! ps, please note the bad review was at a different location--no comparison!

• Visited March 2013
Houston, Texas
“Armondo - You Are Awesome”
Reviewed May 5, 2012

We've built quite a following to Forno's. Lunch for business, business dinners, celebrations, all kinds of reasons to go. The food is AMAZING. The Tres Leches...well, I have not had better. The service is great and all parts of this place is clean and friendly. What would anyone go anyplace else!!! IF you are on 290 and 34th...GO TO FORNOS!

• Visited April 2012
Houston, Texas
“What An Awful Experience”
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Another awful Italian place in Westchase.

First visit:

After being seated on that visit we were told there was a problem in the kitchen and they wouldn't be able to prepare our meals. They did let us leave without paying for the wine we had ordered.

That should have been an omen. I'm thinking the problem in the kitchen wasn't the "gas leak" they had told us but the fact that the food had not thawed enough to microwave it. Because that's what we think they do to prepare their meals.

This visit:

Huge disappointment in the wine list. Even though the list is a couple pages it's heavy on bad labels and choices and the number of wines you could have by the glass you could count on one hand. I didn't even see a house wine. What Italian place doesn't offer a house wine!?

We decided to try an appetizer and got the crab claws. They smelled odd when they arrived. We both thought perhaps the unusual smell was the sauce. The sauce seemed like Italian dressing that had been thickened with something and then they added some bad wine. The crab claws themselves were tough and chewy and inedible. Certainly they were not fresh and we stopped eating them immediately. You'd think when a waiter comes back and sees that only a couple had been eaten from the plate that he'd know something was wrong with the dish. We had to finally ask him to take the plate so the smell would go away too. They seemed to have been cooked a few days prior and frozen and reheated.

I ordered the lasagna and meat sauce. I wish I had read the review here prior that it had less flavor than Stouffes. Because it was spot on. There was no meat in the sauce that I could find. The serving was tiny compared to other Italian places I have been. It too tasted frozen and reheated. The meat inside the layers was a grey color and the corner of the pasta was tough and impossible to cut. I didn't finish that either.

My dining companion had the Chicken Piccata. Wow! What a total failure this dish was!! The chicken itself was flavorless and bland, drowned in what seemed to be the same smelly sauce they poured over the crab claws. The pasta side had noodles cooked well but the marinara was runny and seasoned only with red pepper flakes. The side of seasonal veggies was an "insult". (That's how my companion described it.) Seriously soggy, tasteless, unseasoned, from a bag of frozen veggies - any decent restuarant would have been embarrassed to put them on a plate.

The service was decent. But really...with food THIS bad being waited on by the best waiter in the world couldn't help this place.

How has it stayed open this long? Will someone please come open a decent Italian place in West Houston's Westchase area?!

Visited March 2012