“OK for a movie and drink, skip the food”
Review of Studio Movie Grill

Studio Movie Grill
Ranked #31 of 103 Fun & Games in Houston
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Second time I've been to a Studio Movie Grill but first time at this location. This review really could be for both locations.

For watching a movie and maybe a drink or two, this place isn't bad but the food really is quite poor. Went there with my wife and ordered a couple of entrees and apps and was pretty disappointed. Ordered blackened chicken salad and chicken quesadillas and both were bad. Edamame was OK and so was popcorn we ordered.... but what movie theater can't make popcorn? Plus eating a meal in pitch black is actually kind of not a great experience IMO, I have come to the conclusion that i like to be able to see what I am eating. I'm pretty sure that I ate something in that salad that was pretty old but since I couldn't really see what I was eating it is impossible to see anything before you put it in your mouth.

I think we'll stick to the Dinner then the movie concept in the future and since I can see what I eat and get better quality food. Plus having servers walking in front of you the entire movie does not make a good movie viewing experience.

Will not go back.

"parking"
in 7 reviews
"grandkids"

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We used a Groupon that cut the price of the tickets down to $5. If I had only spent $5 I wouldn't be so critical, however, we did buy food and drink and that's why this place gets a low rating.

The idea is great. Dinner and a movie! The seating was fine. There was a tall guy in front of me, so it sucked that his head was in the way, but I won't blame that on the theater. Here's what we ordered:

Shiner Bock - Fine
Green Apple Martini - small amount, and crappy drink
Mountain Dew - Seriously, how does one screw up a mountain dew? Well, these people can. It was in this huge glass with hardly any ice and flat.
Chicken Pesto - Took maybe three bites and was done. It was dry and dull tasting.
Cheese fries - Fine
Pepperoni Pizza - Again, how can anyone screw this up? They managed it. I can't even describe exactly what was wrong with it. It was just ... gross.
Fudge brownie - Fine.. not amazing, but not bad.
Thin Mint Frosty - This was actually the only good thing we ordered.

Servers will run in front of you all throughout the movie. Several times they were confused as to where food was supposed to go. The couple next to us had one of their entrees out but instead of bringing the lady a bbq burger, they brought her a bbq pizza. It took several waiters to clear it up and the poor girl had to wait a while to get her food.

The serving staff is mostly high school kids, so don't expect experienced staff. I imagine the food is all boxed and microwaved to order. At least that's what it tastes like.

And the parking. Okay, this has nothing to do with the theater but I'll say it anyway. We caught a 5:30 movie. When we left the garage was .. crazy. It must have taken 20 minutes to get out. People were doing crazy stuff, trying to cut in, trying to park, trying to reverse. It was a nightmare. Locals will probably know this, but I'm letting you know one tourist to another.

In summary, I would come back if the ticket was only $5 and I maybe ordered a really cheap appetizer. I would never order entrees or drinks here again though.

Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Okay.... we used a Groupon to come here $5 for $10 which left me happier than if we paid full price. We have beento movie theaters wwith food& drinks in other cities & this one was more ghetto. The seats are office chairs- literally wheels and all. We reserved our seats online but when we got there the layout was opposite. So it looked like we were the 3rd row from the top but we were literally the 3rd row from the front. We had a table which was fine. If you order right when you arrive you may be able to see your food before the movie starts otherwise good luck. Definitely order finger food. I had nachos & the top half of the chips were soft not crunchy. Chicken was not good either & cheese was gross. Our drinks were average. Parking can be a pain. Our not lifted truck didn't fit in the garage so we used vallet which was much easier. Our friends also said their food was not great. Maybe better to just get a drink and skip the over priced mediocre food. Again- the seating is office chairs- don't say I didn't warn you!

Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

I don't think too many people know about this spot. What movies and eat at the same time. I love it. Just a tip, if its a new and popular movie, I suggest you get there EARLY!!!!