“My wife really likes it....maybe I'm missing something”
Review of Cafe Ginger

Cafe Ginger
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Ginger is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #568 of 8,311 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Driscoll/South Shepherd
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Chinese food just OK - lots better in Houston. Service was surprisingly inept - usually Chinese restaurant servers are really on the ball - ours didn't speak very good English and ordering was a bit confusing. It's reasonably priced for the location but not for Chinese food.

There are newer reviews for Cafe Ginger

Reviewed May 8, 2013

I love going to Cafe Ginger for lunch. It's quiet enough that you can carry on a business conversation without having to yell across the table, the food is good and the prices are very reasonable. I always ask for Victor to wait on me, and I've never been disappointed with the food, service or quality.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

The service is obviously well trained and managed here, as they constantly, anticipated one's next request. They claim to be a Chinese/ sushi fusion restaurant, but I saw no one ordering sushi and no sushi chef hovering over the fish case. I tend to avoid sushi establishments that don't buzz with activity and high volume for freshness. However, we ordered off the regular menu and had Asian fish, sea bass and red snapper and both were perfectly cooked with a great sour/hot sauce that didn't over power the dish. The noise level was fine for a business meeting and I definitely would go again, when in the River Oaks area.

1  Thank Chuck C
Reviewed March 29, 2013

The staff was highly attentive from the moment I set foot in cafe Ginger. The Miso soup was delicious, and the sushi fresh and tasty. I was given low sodium soy sauce and watched the bartender make drinks with obvious care and satisfaction in his craft. I was given a choice of some quality cold sake drinks, and loved the choice I made. Again, the service was top-notch. The evening was enjoyable and tasty.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

My husband and I dined here for Valentine's Day. I have never had a waitress so polite, attentive, accessible, and knowledgeable about the menu and wines. I could not believe the food was so flavorful and tasty. The calamari was great; the accompanying sauce is spicy and very unique. My husband ordered the Won Ton soup and said it was spectacular. The General Tso's Chicken and Mongolian Beef were seasoned well, and hot upon arrival. Our food arrived 10 minutes after ordering, which was great. They have an awesome wine selection. We ordered plum wine and enjoyed it.

Other reviews suggest the decorations are overwhelmingly gaudy and distasteful. Personally, I think they're a reflection of Asian culture and are grand. I loved them.

The only thing that bothered me is the waitress' name. She was obviously Asian but had an American name like Betty. I sure hope the restaurant didn't force her to choose an American name to make it easier for the patrons to pronounce. If so, I personally think its awful to ask someone to modify their identity for someone else's convenience. But, I'm not sure this is the case.