“Etoile, hire better servers”

Etoile Cuisine et Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Etoile Cuisine et Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 8,381 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Post Oak Blvd.
Description: Visit Etoile Cuisine et Bar for an inviting, warm, European environment where fine French food is front and center. Chef Philippe offers a traditional and seasonal menu that changes to offer the freshest produce and ingredients available. Chef Philippe combines his native, regional fare and the idea of fresh, local ingredients with modern food concepts to create distinctive and delicious dishes.
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I'm a Houston native and I've been here twice. It is arguably in the top three of the finest food in Houston. Sadly the service takes away from the experience. Our waiter didn't speak good English or any French, and could not explain the items on the menu. The few items he tried to explain, most notably the fois gras, were explained inaccurately and resulted in us having surprises set in front of us. They were beautifully prepared and delicious, but not what we wanted or expected. Perhaps worse, the servers interrupted us constantly to ask if we wanted our water glasses refilled. Just fill the damn glass and let us continue enjoying each other. For equally beautiful food at a similar price point and a far, far better experience I would go to Mark's. For an evening where you can enjoy your dining companions with few interruptions and with the most professional service and very very good food, I go to Brennan's.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

Excellent Goat cheese crusted in slide almonds salad
The special of the day was a salmon-scallops-shrimp in a reduction of safran butter with veggetables mushrooms and blue potatoes
Worth a stop !!!
Wine list is ok

Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

Ok. This place isn't bad, but it's not great either. There are some good classics on the menu and a respectable wine list. But the service could not even pronounce the dishes. Fine. My French sucks too. Then just speak English! My dinner was rushed, and a dessert menu brought before I finished the last bite of my entree. And the place was empty. Don't rush me! Foie gras portion was tiny. Really tiny! But coq au vin was moist and tender. Little Asian mushrooms and a lack of bacon changed the classic approach, but not in a bad way. Bread seemed out of the freezer, but was at least warm and buttery. I'm anxious to see what dessert and coffee brings. When stacked against 100 different steak houses it's a good choice. If you are looking for authentic bistro,head to the airport and fly to France!

Reviewed March 16, 2014

My husband I had dinner here last month and it was absolutely wonderful. We had come here for lunch one day, sat outside on the patio, and enjoyed a wonderful lunch so decided to come back and try dinner. While pricey, it was all unique food, very well prepared and worth it. The service was also excellent and we were seated in the back room which was very quiet and great to have a conversation over good food and wine. We will be back!

1  Thank Kim00
Reviewed March 14, 2014

We love French Food and when I saw that Etoile was rated so high on the list in TripAdvisor I knew we needed to check it out! We went there for a Friday lunch and I did not make reservations. We were seated in the back room of the two main rooms. It had a great view of the kitchen! They also have a private dining room that will seat 20 or so people and there was a 'Book Club Meeting' in the private room while we were there. Our server was Isadore and he was excellent! I couldn't decide between a Chardonnay or the dry Rose, so he brought both bottles and let me try a little taste of each first. My husband had an excellent red Pinot. We split the Foie Gras to start. It was prepared 2 ways. One was soft and the other more firm but both were delicious. For the next course, my husband chose Lobster Bisque and I ordered the Escargot. Absolutely perfect! For the main course, I ordered the mussels and my husband ordered the steak salad. My mussels were huge and it was a generous serving The steak salad was served with the steak on one side of the plate and the wedge iceberg salad on the other side of the plate. There was more than enough steak and we brought some home! We were too full for dessert, but Isadore recommended the apple tart so maybe next time! Our bill came to $121 before the tip, but the Foie Gras was $19 and we each had 2 glasses of wine. The lobster bisque was $9 and the 6 Escargot were only $8. Mussels were a deal at $14 and the steak salad was $19. If you are careful you can have a wonderful meal for a reasonable amount of money. We can't wait to go back! .

1  Thank WestUTraveler