“Set your expectations properly and u won't be disappointed”
Review of The Pass

The Pass
Reserve with OpenTable
The Pass is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #402 of 8,283 Restaurants in Houston
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Houston, Texas
“Set your expectations properly and u won't be disappointed”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

If the expectation is to have fun with friends, for an imaginative dining experience, this is perfect. As mentioned by others, the portions are expectedly small, but getting the 8-course menu with wine pairing, it's actually perfect. Aside from the ridiculously awful wine pairing for the first course, the entire experience was fun and funky. Though considered "formal" dining, its atmosphere is decidedly cool and fun- I'm not sure if this would be a super romantic dinner place, but with the right group of foodie friends, it's whimsical and fun.

• Visited September 2013

“Intimate, delicious, creative”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We've been to the Provision side before and it was great, but for a special birthdays dinner, we tried The Pass. The menu descriptions don't really give you a good idea of what to expect. Everything was delicious and the drama of the presentation was fun.

We also had one pescetarian in the group and a special menu was presented to accommodate. One person had the 5-course with pairing option; one had 5-course no pairings and two had 9-course no pairing. The no pairing folks split a lovely bottle of wine. We started with a glass of sparkling. Everything was wonderful. The view of the chefs at work was entertaining and service was great. Pricey but worth it for a special occasion.

“Pass on Pass!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had the 8 course with wine pairings. We were very disappointed in the whole experience. Portions were ridiculously small and only one of the courses was above average. Nothing was OMG wait until you taste this. Surprised Bon Appetit ranks this as the 6th Best New Restaurant in America. Everyone was still hungry when we left. Pass on Pass.

2 Thank John N
Houston, Texas, USA
“Very small portions for the price and just so so....”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We went to Pass excited as we had enjoyed Provisions on two separate occasions. What a disappointment. Portions were very small and wine pairings novice. Predominantly Spanish wines. We commented (amongst ourselves) that we were still hungry and disappointed. The waiters heard our negative comments and brought our dessert to us in a "to go" box telling us they were out of time. This did not bode well with us as they were serving the other patrons their dessert course while treating us with disrespect. I asked why? They told us that we had been obnoxious regarding the food. We are very seasoned restaurant patrons and they could not take criticism regarding their food. Presentation was very nice and service good. It was just not worth the price. We will not be back to either restaurant because of the way we were treated. They do not need our business and that's life. Again, the Provisions restaurant is very fun and excellent food. I am sad this
happened on the other side.

4 Thank Allen L
“Save your money...”
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

I had been to Pass and was not overly impressed with the foods we were served. The Pizza was good. However, this is not a Pizzaria. They had just opened so I thought things would get better. So, I went to have a girlfriend birthday lunch to the Provisions part. The service was very good. The food was bad. We decided to have sandwiches. They sounded like they'd be Yummy. How could you mess up a sandwich. An expensive sandwich at that. I ordered the eggplant, mozzarella, and tomatoes sandwich. Yum I thought. My friend ordered the meatball sandwich. We were going to split them half and half so we'd both get a taste. Well, my eggplant was a deep fried 1/4" slice of eggplant, the thick crust masked any flavor the eggplant might have had. And I thought they'd forgotten the cheese. No they hadn't. I opened up my half to find a sliver of mozzarella. Sliced so very thin you couldn't see it. And tomatoes. Really...please. I pictured a grilled eggplant or even pan fried dredged slice of eggplant, a thick slice or at least as thick as the eggplant slice of cheese, topped with tomatoe slices. Maybe heirlooms. Wrong. Yuk. I took a bite and the oil they'd deep friend my eggplant in tasted old! Change the greese pot!!!! My friends meatballs were looking like they were premade and bought at Sam's Club. Cheap and tasteless. They served the sandwiches with a ton of shoe string potatoes. Tasty, but the bad sandwiches made them seem the best thing on the plate! They should call this the Fried plate! Well, it was birthday lunch and we decided "not" to get dessert but enjoy a cup of coffee. Well, can you guess? Even the coffee was bad. It was old tasting. And our server brought "one" spoon to share. the milk was just that milk. Not sure by looking at it if it was whole milk to boot! Not much of it either. We poured a lot of it in and the coffee never looked right. Never to return is what we both said. And spread the word is what I will do. Whoever runs this place needs a wake up call. Or they need to order the eggplant sandwich and see what they are giving customers! Yuk, yuk, yuk.

Visited August 2013