“Great Experience!!”

Gatlin's BBQ
Ranked #111 of 8,695 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed November 10, 2017

First off it is a clean restaurant, which is not always the case at BBQ joints. The staff was very friendly and they had all the classic BBQ options that you would expect plus a few other unique options. I am kind of a BBQ snob growing up in KC with lots of relatives and friends that have been competing in BBQ competitions for years. Finding really good quality BBQ that is cooked for the masses is not easy to find. I ordered the beef brisket (gotta have brisket in TX) and the venison sausage combo with baked beans and cucumber salad. The venison sausage was fantastic and the brisket was very good. I got the mix of lean fatty and fatty on the brisket. Not fatty like there was large pieces of fat. They did a great job trimming and smoking the brisket to get the fat rendered down to where it just melted in your mouth. Nice smoke ring and great flavor without the sauce. The sides were OK but I don't go to BBQ joints for the sides. I would definitely recommend going there and will definitely go back there when I am in Houston again. I had two meats and two sides for $15 plus my drink. You can certainly get out of there for less by having a sandwich and sides for probably $11-$12 and I am sure that it is just as good but wanted to try two different meats. Kind of borderline between cheap eats and mid-range but this is priced right in line with other BBQ joint lunches that I have had.

Reviewed November 4, 2017 via mobile

Once again I am in Houston in search for another BBQ place listed as Texas Monthly Top 50. Gatlin’s was not too far from my hotel so decided to find it and since it was Monday checked their website to make sure they were open. It was easy to find and when I pulled in to park noticed it was in a new shopping center.

I walk in during lunchtime to find no line but something smelled great. I don’t think Houston is as BBQ crazy like Austin where if your place has no line then must not be good. I order some brisket and spare ribs. They offer 3 choice of brisket types from dry to moist. Ordered macaroni & cheese and potato salad for my sides along with sweet tea.

There is plenty of seating with TVs showing sports channels. It was a very nice setup and there is a very nice lady walking around helping customers out. I felt she provided that extra touch of customer service to make you feel welcomed.

We had a buzzer to know our order was ready. You pick up your order. My first impression is the meat is on real plates versus paper or butcher paper. Seems fancy compared to other many places I have eaten at. Kind of like BBQ fine dining.

The brisket was soft and tasted very good and the ribs too. The meat on the ribs just fell off the bone. After one bite I see why they were on the list. The sides were very good too and enjoyed the sweet tea. As we were enjoying this tasty meal I notice more people showed up keeping a steady line of people ordering food.

So we got out sticker for the TM BBQ Passbook and will remember this place again on future visits to Houston.

Reviewed November 3, 2017

The wife and I went to Gatlins on a Wednesday..We tried to go on a Weekend, but it was too crowded (speaks to the quality). I had the combo dry brisket and wet Brisket (a bit more fat attached), and the Chicken (white meat). I tried the Potato Salad and Cole Slaw for sides. The wife had the same Brisket combo and Sausage with Red Beans and Potato Salad. All the meats were outstanding. I always try the Chicken (white) when I go to a “new” BBQ place: if they can get the Chicken done right (not burnt and the white meat is juicy), then the rest of the meats are usually right..Gatlin’s has it down pat.. Didn’t try the ribs, but will next time. The sauce is good..not too sweet or too vinegary..has a nice “bite”. The Potato Salad and Beans were good, the Cole Slaw was only fair (but that’s just me..). Overall Gatlins is worth the high ratings..best time to go is early for lunch..it does get crowded and parking is somewhat tricky..

Reviewed October 23, 2017 via mobile

I had looked forward to this visit because of the ranking it has. The staff is very friendly. I ordered the baby back ribs, the moist brisket, the venison sausage, and the corn. The brisket is ok. The bark is good, but not much smoke penetration. The ribs were very good, except the end pieces that were dry. Venison sausage was good. It still gets four stars, but it did not wow me like some other places in the bbq 50.

1  Thank shaun r
Reviewed October 21, 2017 via mobile

We’ve been going to Gatlin’s for a long time, going back to the old location. They have our favorite baby back ribs in the city of Houston. All the meat is delicious and they have some great sides, as well. The staff is very friendly and provide great service whether you are dining in or picking up takeout. I highly recommend this restaurant, especially for visitors who want a taste of Texas BBQ at its finest.