“Best BBQ in Houston, but know it's always a hot wait in line.”
Review of Gatlin's BBQ

Gatlin's BBQ
Ranked #90 of 8,243 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Barbecue
Houston, Texas
“Best BBQ in Houston, but know it's always a hot wait in line.”
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

If your in it for the BBQ this is the best Houston had to offer, but it is like so many great Texas BBQ places getting through the line isn't always pleasant.

Both their brisket and Ribs are exceptional. I always order enough so I can eat at least an extra meal or two. Even reheated it might be better than most other options in Houston.

• Visited September 2013

Texas Gulf Coast, Texas
“Good”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

***Tip: get there early, know the menu ahead of time, and enjoy the food without great expectations

I arrived 30 minutes prior to opening. Being from the St Louis area and having lived in NC where even the President acknowledges how awesome our hometown BBQ is, I was hopeful.

The meat was tender and good. Rice was good. Brisket was very good. Desserts I desired were out.

I will keep searching. But I requested some Blueberry Chipotle sauce from my favorite NC place and will match it with Gatlin's on my next visit.

**they should have a large chalkboard out front/outside that is constantly updated with items they have run out of. I would have hated to wait an hour plus only to find out they are out of my food request.

• Visited August 2013
“Great 'Cue, Small Restaurant”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Gaitlin's is a relative newcomer to the Houston BBQ scene. This physically small restaurant produces some of Houston's best barbecue. Go for lunch, as their hours are roughly noon to seven.

Service is idiosyncratic, as often happens in a small place. Sides are competent but unexceptional. The meat, however, is well worth the trip. Gaitlin's consistently produces some of the best BBQ in Houston.

This is a place to watch. As it matures, I expect that it will eclipse some of the long-time champions of the Houston BBQ scene.

Eastbourne
“Best BBQ!”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I was in Houston and knew I had to come here after reading about it in the Daniel Vaughan book.

It did not disappoint. I had the brisket and pulled pork with ranch beans and coleslaw. THey didn't put the BBQ sauce on the meat either (always a good sign)

The smoked taste was great.

Houston, tx
“best bbq in houston!”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Ever since my Hill Country bbq journey in 2011 (Louie Mueller's, Smitty's, Black's, Kreuz, Luling City Market, the Salt Lick) I have been spoiled...searching for good bbq in Houston was a continual disappointment.

Not so anymore, with a big 'thank you' to Texas Monthly and their BBQ editor, Daniel Vaughn, who listed Gatlin's in their recent Top 50 issue.

Made 2 visits to Gatlin's...11am 8/2 and 1pm 8/28...just to be sure it wasn't a fluke...and it's not. Their brisket is the closest thing I've found to the Hill Country. There will likely be a line of 12-15 people snaking out the door if you go at 11am....but if you wait until noon-1pm, it's much shorter.

Best bet is to sit outside on the deck at the picnic tables...even in the Houston heat, it's not bad with the huge fan..and it is covered, so you're not in the sun.....side orders---dirty rice, baked beans, French fries are all fine. Parking is along 19th St. Lunch is the best time of day to go, as they often sell out later in the day...the ribs are good as well, but have finally learned brisket is my favorite, stick with the brisket!

I'm just thrilled that Houston now has a BBQ joint that can hold it's own with the Best in the World...wondered why I had never heard of it much in the past....well, Gatlin's didn't open until 2010.

Here's my bottom line....I have no need to try any other place in the Houston area for BBQ...Gatlin's isn't quite the Hill Country...but it's close enough. 9.5/10.