“Nicely Updated Hotel, Nasty Breakfast”

Crowne Plaza Houston Galleria Area
Ranked #107 of 504 Hotels in Houston
Warren, MI
“Nicely Updated Hotel, Nasty Breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

Overall I'd say I was satisfied with my stay at this Crowne Plaza.

Checking in I was warmly greeted by the front desk and sent on my way up to my room on the 4th floor.

The public areas have been updated and are very nice with an upscale look. The elevators are vintage, shaky, and generally not a pleasant experience.

The hallway leading to my room was nicely lit and updated.

My room was updated as well with a big comfortable bed, a nice looking modern sofa, nice flat screen tv, and a high quality work desk. The bathroom was also quite nice with a marble vanity and a clean shower with great water pressure.

The high speed internet was reliable with good speed.

My included breakfast the next morning was pretty awful. Bacon that had obviously been reheated from previous days, stale french toast, and rubbery pancakes were pretty much it. They have the nerve to charge people who's breakfast isn't included in their room rate $16 for this slop which in reality is worth about $1.50 (being generous).

So while I can highly recommend the service and the rooms at this Crowne Plaza I did knock a whole star off for the less than stellar restaurant experience.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Tom W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston Galleria Area, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Mitchtraveler1969,
We are sorry you did not find our breakfast up to your liking as we have over 20 items daily on our buffet. We also offer freshly prepared eggs, omlets, waffles and pancakesupon request so if the buffet is of no interest you can always have breakfast prepared to your request.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

As we arrived at the hotel I was confused due to the fact that I recognized this property as another that had stood on this location some years before(I think a Ramada). The hotel had been fully re-furbished. The motif was Crowne Plaza, but the layout and delivery was that of a cheaper, lower brand from a lesser quality hotel.
When we arrived we were checked in promptly and were greeted by name and status. We were given a room a the end of the hall. While checking in with "RJ" at the desk i inquired as to the availability of a shuttle to the Galleria that evening for a dinner reservation. He set up the shuttle to take us to the Galleria. When we arrived in the lobby to embark on our +/- 5 minute trip we were met by the driver. another couple were also riding on the shuttle. As the driver was getting on the shuttle he had in his hand a paper copy of google directions which he then proceeded to look down at while driving. While driving to The Houstonian Hotel and Resort to drop off the other couple the bus driver nearly clipped cars in the adjacent lane, ran off hte road, and missed the turn, which he performed a 7 point u turn in the middle of a busy intersection. At this point i retrieved my phone from my pocket and input the address of the Houstonian. i guided him to his destination where he promptly drove the bus underneath a parking garage as i was imploring him, begging him not to proceed...but he continued crahing the bus into the garage. We, as can be expected exited the bus and called the hotel. "RJ" and his front end manager "Mark" showed up in the Suburban towncar and took us to the Galleria. They were apologetic and concerned. I don't believe the driver understood/spoke English well and I seriously doubt he had a valid DL. We had a decent night sleep (except for the stiff necks my wife and I sustained) Overall this property is average to above average....trying to re-invent itself in an area that in the past had been notorious for being in the "less than good area" of town.

Room Tip: Backside of the property away from the highway.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Please accept our apologies. We are at a loss of words to express why the driver elected to drive into an area that was obviously not designed for oversized vehicles eespecially since they do recieve training and are instructed not to drive into any closed structure. We reviewed your incident with our transportation company and the driver is not longer associated with the property.
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

This hotel definitely exceeded our expectations. Our room was super clean! The galleria was not too far away and it was in a perfect spot for us to hop on the highway to go back home. The staff was friendly and it was a good crowd that was staying there. Only thing is parking.. It can get pretty full fast if you are out late.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Tom W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston Galleria Area, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
LJGarcia,
Thank you for staying with us and for reviewing our property we are glad you enjoyed your stay!
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

Great Hotel. Helpful staff! Great location. Lots of amenities. Yvonne at the desk was super! Centrally located. Got a great deal on hotels.com sent to us by e-mail! Highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Houston!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Tom W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston Galleria Area, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
LisaR,
Thank you for staying with us and for commenting on one of our staff members we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Our hotel is one of the newest hotels in the Galleria/Uptown market and our rooms and decor are fresh and comfortable. We offer many services complimenatry that other hotels charge for like parking and internet and our complimentary shuttle provides transportation to both Galleria and Memorial City Mall as well as area restaurants and offices.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

Another great trip at what has become my go-to Houston hotel. VERY clean, friendly staff, great location all at a very reasonable price. Highly recommended. Helpful hint- check-in with Renjit if he's there: that guy is an all-star at customer service.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Tom W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston Galleria Area, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
cam_car01,
Thank you for staying with us again and for recognizing one of our staff members. Renjit is just one of several outstanding guest service employees we have here at the hotel and one for the reasons our repeat business is growing. We think we have a great location and offer the amenities that our customers are looking for like complimentary parking, WiFi and shuttle service. We will make sure we recognie Renjit for his outstanding customer service. Thanks!
Austin, Texas, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

We were very impressed with our stay at this hotel starting with check in. The person at the check-in desk (Marc) acknowledged my Platinum status and gave us a small gift bag (bottled water, coffee drink mix, and some personal care products), he also offered complimentary breakfast or 500 bonus points (we went with the continental breakfast). After talking to the Tom Wenzel (GM) via email, he recommended a room on the backside of the building since I requested a "quiet location". I'm pretty sure we got upgraded because we got a two-room suite (living room and separate bedroom) with a pool-view on the 6th floor. Down the hallway was the Priority Club Lounge which was nice. Since I was the only person in there, I got to watch my show on their big screen TV and had a complimentary soda. The in-room wifi was ok, not the fastest but I appreciated that it wasn't slow. When I went down for breakfast, the waitstaff acknowledged my Platinum status and treated us well. The continental breakfast could have been better, I think they were charging $12.95, which you could have gotten a better meal at IHOP or Denny's for that price.

Overall, I would stay at this location again given their excellent customer service

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Ligerkiller,
Thank you for the wonderful review and for the kind words about our staff. The IHG Reward program is one of the best in the industry and we try to support that program with the best possible service. We have a staff that is always ready to help and our hotel provides easy access to all parts of Houston. Thanks for staying with us.
Hartley Wintney, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

This hotel is quite central, and has all the amenities needed for a business trip. There's a decent small gym, a well equipped business centre, and friendly staff. The breakfast is adequate - though I've seen better, but the staff are helpful and attentive. Restaurant food and service was so-so but Houston has plenty to offer within a short drive. Rooms facing the freeway are a bit noisy - worth requesting a room at the back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back to avoid the freeway noise.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for staying with us and for the review of our property. We think we have a great hotel and our staff is always willing to help make your stay a comfortable one. Our complimentary amenities like WiFi, parking and shuttle service also make us one of the best values in the Galleria/Uptown market.