“Good stay in Houston”

Crowne Plaza Houston Galleria Area
Ranked #107 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Clean, everyone said hello. Nice clean pool-updated patio furniture. Good location for business, close to Downtown-Westhimer. Rooms close to freeway are a bit noisy-ear plugs will help.
Getting coffee is strange with breakfast. You have to go to the bar and stand their while a waitress goes behind the kitchen door and and brings out a to-go cup- $2.17. In order to get a cup of coffee at a nice place like this, there is no coffee pot. Dont laugh. This is the thrid time staying here.
Rooms are nice, clean,soaps an shampoos, are good. Good TV guide, controls and A/C worked good
Traffic in the morning is terrible. To get downtown, turn RT , travel down to 1st stop light , take a left across I-10 then right on Washington, then back across I-10 east to downtown.
Good stay but they have to get the coffee thing figured out.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Tom W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston Galleria Area, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

We appreciate you staying with us and for your valuable comments. all our rooms do come with coffee makers with cups to go but we will review our lobby/ restaurant service to see if we can make it easier.

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Houston Galleria Area

Reviewed April 8, 2013

The rooms were as expected and the staff was very friendly.

The elevators need to be upgraded as one was out of order, another would indicate it was going down, but always take you up first and the third was very slow. We ended up using the stairs most of the stay.

The service at the bar was exceptional; above and beyond kind and attentive.

We were very disappointed with the waffles when we ordered room service. On the menu, it says it comes with strawberries and whipped cream. Ours came with no whipped cream and half a strawberry on the side as a garnish. It was just a waffle from the machines that you often see at self-service breakfast bars in hotels. Considering there were three of us & room service breakfast was over $50, this was not up to par.

On a whole though, the experience was good and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank RudolphNYC

Thanks for the feedback and we are happy you enjoyed your stay. Being fairly new to the hotel we realize that we still have work to do to make our hotel better and comments like this help us to identify problems and improve our product. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Pleasure trip to Houston with two other ladies for some pre-wedding planning and shopping. First impressions: The foyer was beautiful. The dining area, food, bar - very nice. All of the personnel we interracted with were very courteous! The overall decor of the hotel was very up to date and lovely. Our room was a two queen bed room. This is where I was diappointed. While beautifully coordinated and beds that were incredibly comfy, the room was small. Very small. The closet was tiny I could not fit my carryon size suitcase. In fact, there was no place at all to put luggage other than on the bed for getting clothes in/out, then had to be set on the floor making barely room to walk around without tripping over. We each travel very light. We had the one carryon size bag and two tote bags. The space between the beds and the bathroom was so small, that if one person was standing at the mirror or dresser, they had to move for someone to get to the restroom or to get to the door to get out of the room. As for the bathroom, the tub was TINY - good water pressure in the shower, but very small space. The coffee pot was TINY. I mean a one cup a time tiny. There was one regular packet and one decaf. (Though when asked, more coffee was sent up Immediately). My daughter (whose wedding planning we were doing) had joined us for a day at the hotel. Going back down to the lobby, the elevator was BARELY large enough for two averge and two quite petite size ladies. At one floor, a man asked to squeeze on because he was late for a meeting. He barely fit. We were all shoulder to shoulder. Too bad if we had been carrying any luggage. However, because everything else about the hotel was so nice, I would give it a B or B+. For any longer than a one or two night stay, I would request a larger room or stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This location recently had a complete make-over, so everything is new and spotless. The restaurant is better than many at this level, and the prices aren't totally insane. Very nice and welcoming staff!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Thanks for the review Wineguy! Our rooms are very comfortable and the food is consistently good. Add in the complimentary internet and parking and why stay elsewhere? Come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

I would like to say that this is one of the nicest hotel I have stayed in.
Great experiance from the time we checked in. I was in town to attend the AAHOA convention. I had 2 rooms reserved at a special rate & when I wanted 1 more room at the same discounted rate, the front desk without hesitating gave us 1 more room. The GM of the hotel personaly came and greeted us. He was very professional. The rooms were very nice. I am a manager of a hotel and I was amazed with all the profesionalism by all the staff. I have to say this is a 4 star if not a 5 star. The whole experience from the time of check in to the time of check out was wonderful. It is very conveniently located close to everything.
Great job Mr. GM. Keep it up & thankyou for a wonderful hoel.
Will definately stay here on my next visit to Houston.

Room Tip: All rooms are nice. Choose any 1 of them
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thanks for the kind words we enjoyed having you as our guest! We have a great staff and a wonderful hotel and that makes my job a lot easier. Come back and see us again!

Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

The other reviews about a poor location are correct. This can be hard to navigate around and has absolutely no places to walk to. They do have a shuttle onsite which I did not use. Parking seemed safe enough. Downstairs bar offers great food and service. Front desk staff was in inconsistent, great check in but apathetic check out. The room was fantastic, fitness center is also up to par. The elevators feel like a roulette wheel. Two rickety and small cars that almost seem to stall or stick every trip. I have no idea how they pass inspection. Overall this hotel is adequate but you could probably do better.

• Stayed: March 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston Galleria Area, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Dear Devidence,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. It's nice to hear that the room accommodations lived up to your expectations. However, I am deeply sorry for the unacceptable service you have received from our staff. I assure you that this is not the norm you should expect from our hotel. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We went to Houston a couple weekends ago for a concert and although the concert was downtown in the theater district (Bayou Music Center), we wanted to stay more near the Galleria b/c we were going to be in that area during the day. This hotel is not in the Galleria's immediate surroundings but it was only a 10 min drive to get there with minimal time on the highways. The hotel looks brand new and we got a great deal just going through the hotel website. The rooms are very large and have a modern style that we both liked. The lobby is very large and clean, the breakfast is nicer than most hotels and you don't have to valet you vehicle. For me, I hate to valet my personal vehicle (company vehicle I could take it or leave it) the only scratches I have on my rims are from careless valet guys. If you stay any closer to the Galleria most of the places are valet only so that was a nice bonus for me. The hotel is right on the highway and our room faced the highway but the noise level wasn't bad. I like to sleep with a little fan noise anyway so it didn't bother me but if you need dead silence this might not be the place for you. I loved it and will be staying here again!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple