“One of the best place in Houston”
Review of Flora & Muse - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Flora & Muse
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
“One of the best place in Houston”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Excellent food. You should try flat breads and akaushi burger, which is made from kobe beef, which i think was one of the best burgers ever had in my life. Their coffee is also very tasty. Give it a try.

• Visited October 2012

Houston, Texas
“LOVE THIS PLACE”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My favorite brunch spot. Good coffee and Tea selections. Great selection on breakfast food. You can either go for coffee and pastries on the North side of the building or have a great dining experience on the South Side. Great outdoor seating.

Visited May 2013
Houston, Texas
“european?”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

For a place that claims to be inspired by European bistros and the owners visits to the old world, something must have gone wrong in their trips! I ordered a flatbread, came with a commercial pita-like bread (not house made). When I asked for olive oil, a question mark started flashing in the servers' forehead. She disappeared, then came back with (brace yourselves) HOT FRYING OIL, canola or the like. Absolutely not olive and in a mustard little metal cup. To be fair, this is not the first restaurant in Houston that I asked for olive oil and get nothing, or get canola, soy, corn, whatever the heck they have in the kitchen. Funnily, 2 doors down from Flora + Muse theres a store that sells the best olive oils from all over the world, Olive and Vine. This one is worth the visit, it is expensive but worth every penny. Bottom line: don't think european when you to to F+M.

• Visited June 2013
“Great atmosphere, but get a consistent chef so you can survive!”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

So once again we are trying Flora & Muse and once again we ask ourselves why! They have a fabulous location, great coffee and some of the servers are outstanding. The food, when it is good, it's great. When it's not, it's mediocre at best. Today we ordered mushroom flatbread. The dough is raw and the chef must have skipped cooking 101! We have dough and shrooms, not a spice one... we had to salt and pepper on our own. And the cheese is almost non existent. The same and pepper definitely helped improve the taste.

Next up was the chicken and mushroom crepe for me and for my partner apple pancake. Yes singular. As in one freakin' pancake with 4 apple slices. And it was very rubbery. The crepe was beautiful, savory and delicious and was served with a small side salad that was perfectly balanced with dressing. So 1 out of 3 dishes was great. There is no consistency in this kitchen. I really like this place but please, please, please get these problems fixed or will not survive.

Everytime I want to bring my girlfriends, they have started suggesting other places of the inconsistency in good preparation. New chef? Maybe. Additional training? Maybe. Keep making bad food- Customers lost? Definitely!

Houston
“Disappointing Venue for an Event”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I hosted my sister’s baby shower here and it was a disaster from the start. I had the room reserved at 1:30 for a 2:00 shower. I arrived at 1:30 and there was still a party going on in the room. The manager didn't show up until 1:45 to greet me and promised my room would be ready momentarily, but I didn't get access to the room until 2:10...quite embarrassing for me because the guests had to wait at the front until the tables were cleared. I had scheduled with them to have high tea, 2 waiters, wine, table cards and flowers. The only thing I received as promised was the flowers. They didn't even get waters or the table set until everyone was seated for 20 minutes. Throughout the party I had to get up every 2 minutes to see where the wine, food, tea, and appetizers were. In meetings beforehand, I had selected the wines and chosen high tea service; the manager and server were prepared for neither. The wines I had picked were not available. Then they brought around a tea box for everyone to pick a tea bag...this was to be a high tea event (again as noted and discussed with the manager) and it wasn't served as a high tea. The food was finally brought out (about 30 mins late) after the manager said the kitchen didn't see the ticket for the event and was just placed on the table where no one could reach or pass the three-tiered tray. At one point I even had to get up and walk over to pour the wine for the guests. The manager really could not have cared less that we were even there...never acted sorry or apologetic. She was just slowly walking around like we didn't matter. In the middle of the shower I even spoke to her about how nothing was as we discussed and the response was "well I did get the special scones." Um, great, thanks. My guests had to wait for the room, didn’t get anything to drink until 30 minutes into it, and then I had to spend the entire shower begging for adequate service so I could get what we were paying for.

I did get about a 10 percent decrease in the bill, but that was all. After the manager gave me the bill, I pressed that nothing was as we had discussed and planned (I met with them twice in person (and they didn't show up for the second meeting and I had to reschedule), twice over the phone and emails back and forth two weeks beforehand). I even had called the morning of the shower to make sure they had everything they needed from me and everything was set for the event. I spoke to the same manager and confirmed it was all taken care of. At the second in person meeting (which I was stood up), I even spoke to the manager's boss about how i was nervous that the date was first double booked and now the manager didn’t show up for the meeting. He apologized and told me that it will all be as I want it and I shouldn't worry...he wasn't working the day of the shower.

I did my best to be proactive and meet in person, over the phone and in emails to make sure my sister’s shower went off with no bumps. I had friends and family come in from out of state from NY to California for this event. It was extremely embarrassing, stressful and just plain upsetting with the way everything went that day. I have never been treated so horribly and inconsiderate. The way it was handled was very unprofessional and uncaring. I would hate for someone to go through what I went through with this establishment. It wasn't worth the cute atmosphere. I kept my side of the contract and didn't cancel with them after the second in-person meeting and I really wish they had kept their side of the contract.