“Good choice for Medical Center stay”
Review of Hotel Ylem

Hotel Ylem
Ranked #275 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I checked in with my mom recently to stay during her medical treatments at MD Anderson. The front desk staff was very helpful. The room was clean; although this was a smoking room, it didn't reek of cigarette smoke. We couldn't get the TV to work, but staff came quickly and fixed the problem. Their shuttle service runs until 10 PM, which was very helpful for us, as one treatment ran much later than expected. The shuttle drivers were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was pretty good and had many items to choose from. The hotel is close to several restaurants and grocery stores. We had a mini fridge and microwave in the room, which came in handy for restaurant leftovers.

Room Tip: The third floor rooms have very high ceilings!
Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
GMMedicalCenter, General Manager at Hotel Ylem, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Dear TexasSWTraveler,

Thank you for taking the time to review us here. We know your time is valuable, and you had other lodging options in the area. I am happy to hear that you are happy with our staff and our cleanliness. I apologize for any inconvenience you had with your TV. We use feedback such as yours to target and resolve problems. We hope have the honor of hosting you again. We would like the opportunity of showing you a SMART stay.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

I had to cancel my reservation the day before (not within 24 hours) because I became too sick to travel. This was to be a business trip which was booked and cancelled the previous day by my company's travel department. My credit card was billed $236.33 penalty, which I am unable to expense. Upon checking later in the day I discovered the hotel was FULLY BOOKED, so my room was re-booked. I have been trying to get an explanation or some assistance from Guest Relations who said they would contact the hotel manager who would contact me. This was 2 weeks ago. I have contacted them twice and not received any response.

Definitely do not book a room here if there is any chance at all that you could become too sick to travel!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Terry A

Dear Terry A,

Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel. I am sorry to hear of your inconvenience with our cancellation policy. We use reviews, such as yours, to target areas of concern.

Again, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

I was there with my mother for some appointments I had at MD Anderson. Hotel was great! Room was very clean, although there was a hole in the wall from where it looked like they had to do some work for whatever reason but we were able to cover it up and it wasn't a bother. Didn't have to use the shuttle this time around but we did see it running and heard the front desk calling for pickups at MD so I'm assuming that would have been great too if we'd used it. Continental breakfast was pretty decent. Small egg omelets, bacon, biscuits, cereal, juice and even pancakes. Great for a quick bite before heading out. It's close to almost everything you need (restaurants and groceries) and it's a short drive to MD if you're driving yourself around. The only complaint I have (and it's really not even a complaint) is that the lobby had a very weird, armpit smell to it. Overall I was very impressed with the place and will be staying there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear Denise G,

Thank you for taking your time and reviewing our hotel. We know that you had many lodging options in this area and you stayed with us. I am happy to hear of your impression with our hotel. I apologize for the issue with your room and the lobby. We use feedback from our guests to address our problem areas.

Again, I thank you for staying with us and we hope you will give us the honor of hosting your stay again in the future.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

My parents and I stayed there on the suites for medical reasons and the location is unbeatable (7 min to hospitals, walking distance to supermarkets, mall, restaurants, pharmacy, all!) the price was also a plus in the lower side of same category places, shuttle service is a must in these cases and they performed an excellent job catering my parents specific needs. Plus the staff! The staff is great, they all went over their heads to try to accommodate our every needs, they were corteous, polite, always smiling and providing very welcomed tips on how to handle in & about Houston. Special mention to Erica (management), Jessica (shuttle), Andy and Debbie (front desk), and also the other Erica (cleaning) Kudos to all! I'd recommend this place and their staff eyes shut !

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank nstiac

Hello nstiac,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are happy you found our staff and our hotel hospitable and your stay satisfying. I have shared your comments with the staff. All of us here enjoy what we do and comments such as your brings a smile to all of us here. We hope you will give us the honor of hosting your stay again in the future.

Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Shuttle transported us to and from football game. Staff recommended great restaurants in the area. Convenient to stores and gas stations.
Our TV had a color problem we reported it, staff wasn't able to correct it.

• Stayed: August 2013
GMMedicalCenter, General Manager at Hotel Ylem, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Hello Pearlsmom1,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We know your time is valuable and you had a number of lodging options in the area. We try to keep up to date on local restaurants and attractions to recommend to our guest and we are glad we were able to recommend some good places. We use all our feedback to help us target concerns. I apologize for the issues you had with your TV. The issue has been addressed. We want everyone's service experience to be better than OK, and assure you, if you visit us again, we will make your stay.

Thank you again for staying with us, and your kind review. We hope we have the honor of hosting you again in the near future.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at this hotel due to having to visit MD Anderson Cancer Center. Only about 5-7 minutes from MD Anderson it was very convenient and there was plenty of parking. Hotel staff was very friendly, breakfast area was very well laid out, selection was the best we have seen at a Holiday Inn Express with fresh pancakes, bacon, sausage, eggs, bagels, yogurt, fruit, juice, coffee, well laid out room with lots of counter space. Wireless was intermittent however I hooked up data line to laptop and got good connection. Tried the wireless on two different laptops and both were spotty. Beds were a little softer than we are use to however were acceptable.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Hello Dale C,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. We are glad you enjoyed our staff and facility. We try to offer a great breakfast and glad you enjoyed it. I am sorry to hear
of your issues with the WiFi connectivity. We use feedback such as yours to address problem areas. As such we are investigating the issue and are working to resolve it. I do hope we have the honor of hosting your stay again.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

While unloading our bags from the car, we noticed someone stealing the fourth and final tire off another patron's car this evening. Many of the guests at this hotel are receiving treatment at a nearby hospital, and that is why my family is here, for cancer treatment. What you don't expect is the unpatrolled parking lot having four tires stolen right off someone's car. We met another guest tonight who said they witnessed the exact same thing happen 2 months ago, and had pictures to prove it, as do I. The security guard finally showed up about 3 hours later, at midnight, which unfortunately was too late to help prevent theft. This hotel has a serious security problem, and if you value the wheels on your vehicle, I highly recommend finding somewhere else to stay.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Betty L
GMMedicalCenter, General Manager at Hotel Ylem, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Hello BettyL,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Please allow me this opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced at our hotel. I appreciate you taking the time to advise us of your dissatisfaction, which is the first step towards improvement of our services. I am committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities. I sincerely regret we fell short of our goal in this instance. It is especially unfortunate that this is an issue in the Medical Center area where people are here for medical treatment. The safety of all of our guests is one of my greatest concerns, and that is why I do not take this issue lightly. In addition to the security in the evening I am now working on increasing security during the day as well so we may have 24 hour security. Please know that I am available if your would like to discuss this matter further. Again, thank you for your time and I do hope to serve you once again in the future.