“Very impressed” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #285 of 501 Hotels in Houston
Austin, Texas
“Very impressed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

I was there with my mother for some appointments I had at MD Anderson. Hotel was great! Room was very clean, although there was a hole in the wall from where it looked like they had to do some work for whatever reason but we were able to cover it up and it wasn't a bother. Didn't have to use the shuttle this time around but we did see it running and heard the front desk calling for pickups at MD so I'm assuming that would have been great too if we'd used it. Continental breakfast was pretty decent. Small egg omelets, bacon, biscuits, cereal, juice and even pancakes. Great for a quick bite before heading out. It's close to almost everything you need (restaurants and groceries) and it's a short drive to MD if you're driving yourself around. The only complaint I have (and it's really not even a complaint) is that the lobby had a very weird, armpit smell to it. Overall I was very impressed with the place and will be staying there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMMedicalCenter, General Manager at 8080 Main, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Denise G,

Thank you for taking your time and reviewing our hotel. We know that you had many lodging options in this area and you stayed with us. I am happy to hear of your impression with our hotel. I apologize for the issue with your room and the lobby. We use feedback from our guests to address our problem areas.

Again, I thank you for staying with us and we hope you will give us the honor of hosting your stay again in the future.

Sheetal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

My parents and I stayed there on the suites for medical reasons and the location is unbeatable (7 min to hospitals, walking distance to supermarkets, mall, restaurants, pharmacy, all!) the price was also a plus in the lower side of same category places, shuttle service is a must in these cases and they performed an excellent job catering my parents specific needs. Plus the staff! The staff is great, they all went over their heads to try to accommodate our every needs, they were corteous, polite, always smiling and providing very welcomed tips on how to handle in & about Houston. Special mention to Erica (management), Jessica (shuttle), Andy and Debbie (front desk), and also the other Erica (cleaning) Kudos to all! I'd recommend this place and their staff eyes shut !

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank nstiac
Hello nstiac,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are happy you found our staff and our hotel hospitable and your stay satisfying. I have shared your comments with the staff. All of us here enjoy what we do and comments such as your brings a smile to all of us here. We hope you will give us the honor of hosting your stay again in the future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Shuttle transported us to and from football game. Staff recommended great restaurants in the area. Convenient to stores and gas stations.
Our TV had a color problem we reported it, staff wasn't able to correct it.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMMedicalCenter, General Manager at 8080 Main, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Hello Pearlsmom1,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We know your time is valuable and you had a number of lodging options in the area. We try to keep up to date on local restaurants and attractions to recommend to our guest and we are glad we were able to recommend some good places. We use all our feedback to help us target concerns. I apologize for the issues you had with your TV. The issue has been addressed. We want everyone's service experience to be better than OK, and assure you, if you visit us again, we will make your stay.

Thank you again for staying with us, and your kind review. We hope we have the honor of hosting you again in the near future.

Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at this hotel due to having to visit MD Anderson Cancer Center. Only about 5-7 minutes from MD Anderson it was very convenient and there was plenty of parking. Hotel staff was very friendly, breakfast area was very well laid out, selection was the best we have seen at a Holiday Inn Express with fresh pancakes, bacon, sausage, eggs, bagels, yogurt, fruit, juice, coffee, well laid out room with lots of counter space. Wireless was intermittent however I hooked up data line to laptop and got good connection. Tried the wireless on two different laptops and both were spotty. Beds were a little softer than we are use to however were acceptable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hello Dale C,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. We are glad you enjoyed our staff and facility. We try to offer a great breakfast and glad you enjoyed it. I am sorry to hear
of your issues with the WiFi connectivity. We use feedback such as yours to address problem areas. As such we are investigating the issue and are working to resolve it. I do hope we have the honor of hosting your stay again.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

While unloading our bags from the car, we noticed someone stealing the fourth and final tire off another patron's car this evening. Many of the guests at this hotel are receiving treatment at a nearby hospital, and that is why my family is here, for cancer treatment. What you don't expect is the unpatrolled parking lot having four tires stolen right off someone's car. We met another guest tonight who said they witnessed the exact same thing happen 2 months ago, and had pictures to prove it, as do I. The security guard finally showed up about 3 hours later, at midnight, which unfortunately was too late to help prevent theft. This hotel has a serious security problem, and if you value the wheels on your vehicle, I highly recommend finding somewhere else to stay.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Betty L
GMMedicalCenter, General Manager at 8080 Main, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Hello BettyL,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Please allow me this opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced at our hotel. I appreciate you taking the time to advise us of your dissatisfaction, which is the first step towards improvement of our services. I am committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities. I sincerely regret we fell short of our goal in this instance. It is especially unfortunate that this is an issue in the Medical Center area where people are here for medical treatment. The safety of all of our guests is one of my greatest concerns, and that is why I do not take this issue lightly. In addition to the security in the evening I am now working on increasing security during the day as well so we may have 24 hour security. Please know that I am available if your would like to discuss this matter further. Again, thank you for your time and I do hope to serve you once again in the future.

Lufkin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I made an impromptu trip to Houston and ended up staying at this hotel at the last minute. The room was clean and comfortable and breakfast was very good.

The thing that impressed us the most was the hospitality of the entire hotel staff from the front desk to the breakfast attendant to the janitorial staff. Everyone made eye contact, smiled and even spoke pleasantly to us. I accidentally left my purse in the dining area, and when I realized it 30 minutes later it had been taken to the front desk with nary a business card out of place.

We will definitely stay again any time we are in the area!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Rachel K,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad you found my team to be hospitable and your stay satisfying. I am always pleased to hear about our awesome southern hospitality. Your comments will be shared with my team as reinforcement to continue our efforts to make us a leader in the Medical Center area. I do hope we have the honor of hosting you again in the future, impromptu or not. :-)

Chicago Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

What's the next best thing to sweating at the equator? Maybe July in Houston at a Holiday Inn Express festooned with decorative furnishings from the Asian sub-continent.

The elevator was a sauna. It only has to go 3 floors, but whether riding it up or down, your brow will be dewy before the doors re-open.

Never before had I seen a room A/C fan control that only switched between "Lo" and "Auto" -- which in this case meant exactly the same thing!

Some buildings are able to control the humidity inside which has to be challenging in Houston. This place was not up to the challenge. Between about midnight and 7 a.m., the room temperature could dip down into the 70's, but it was still sticky with the mugginess inside.

The hallways and entry were well lit and clean, and the daily maid service to the room was ok. No problem with front desk check-in. The neighborhood might be a little sketchy, but we did not have any security issues personally or with our parked vehicle. There are grocery stores and restaurants that are not too far. Wi-Fi was free, but it was slow at times. Flat screen TV worked well, plenty of satellite TV channels. There were cookies in the lobby at check-in, which was nice.

So I'm not saying that it was un-livable or totally horrible. It was possible to sleep, mostly, kept us out of the weather, kind of, and it didn't ruin the trip exactly.

It's just that I would have to try something else before voluntarily staying in that sweatbox again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hello joshhikes,

Thank for taking the time to review our property. I appreciate your taking the time to advise us of your dissatisfaction, which is the first step towards improvement of our services. I will work with our maintenance team to make the elevator ride to your floor more enjoyable. Also, we are undergoing a renovation this year and I will definitely take your comments about decor and the A/C to upper management. Our team is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities. I sincerely regret we fell short of our goal in this instance. I do hope you will see us again in the future and give us a second chance to serve you.